I had made eggless custard powder cupcakes for my son’s birthday celebration at the school. We had organized a small birthday party for him with his dear friends. I made this eggless chocolate truffle cake for his birthday party celebration.
The cake has chocolate flavor and has a rich chocolate truffle icing in it. It was loved by all the kids. Some parents who are chocolate lovers liked it very much. To get a fresh flavor I had used fresh strawberries for the decoration and it enhanced the flavor of the cake more.
I love baking and decorating a cake. We always think that decorating a cake is a big-time job and also a little messy one, but believe me, it is simple and easy. You can bake and decorate a cake at home.
Following steps are required to decorate cakes at home:
- Making the sponge cake.
- Making the icing.
- Assembling and decorating the cake.
Making the sponge:
Select the flavor, shape, and quantity of the sponge cake required. You can make either vanilla, chocolate, orange, strawberry, carrot or any other flavor of cake. The shape can be circle, square or rectangle or any other mold available such as dome shape, car, etc. The quantity of the sponge is dependent on the number of guests.
I wanted to make a 9-inch square cake for around 30 people. I tripled the quantity of the cake recipe and then divided the mixture of the prepared cake mix into two parts and baked two 9 inch sponge from it. You can use the entire cake mix and make a single big sponge and then cut it into layers of your choice you want.
Making the icing:
There are different types of icing used such as fresh cream or whipped cream icing, butter cream icing, royal icing, fondant , truffle, or ganache icing.
Select the type of icing you want to use. I wanted to make the chocolate truffle for my cake. The icing of the cake can be prepared in advance and refrigerated or freezed and use as per requirement.
The cakes that uses whipped cream or fresh cream of icing needs to be refrigerated and remove an hour before serving.
The cakes which are decorated with buttercream or fondant icing can stay outside in the room at room temperature. Cover them and keep.
Assembling and decorating the cake:
You can make a single layer cake and frost it directly.
I prefer to cut the cake into two layer and sandwich the layers with the prepared icing. Then cover my cake with the prepared icing. This way when you cut the cake you get to see nice layers in it.
Using a cake decorating spatula makes the process easy and gives a smooth finishing.
Always put some icing on the cake board or on the serving plate into which the cake is to to be decorated and served. Put the cake on it it. Doing this will help cake to stick to the cake board or the serving plate.
Do the crumb coat on the cake first. This will help in smoothening of the edges of the cake and helps the cake crumbs to coat well. Then refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes. The crumb coat icing on the cake will become firm. Now put the second layer of icing over the cake . Smoothen the edges with spatula or cake scraper if you have.
Decorate the cake with a nice border piped with the icing or some chocolalates, m & m’s, almonds , fresh fruits.
The cake is ready.
This way you can make differently themed cakes.
I want to thank my dear friend Pooja Kapadia Patel for sharing her cake recipe and decoration tips with me. She is a very good baker and makes very beautiful cakes. She has a facebook page “Sugary Cakes“. You can see her wonderful creation over there.
Eggless Chocolate Truffle Cake
- 1 cup self raising flour 3 cups. I have tripled the quantity to make a big cake.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour 1.5 cup
- 1 cup sugar 3 cup
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder 12 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp baking soda 1.5 tsp
- 1 pinch salt 3 pinch of salt
- 65 g butter melted (around 200 g butter)
- 1 cup milk 3 cups
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence 1.5 tsp
- 200 g cooking chocolate
- 600 g thick cream 35% fat
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 25 g butter
Assembling and decorating the cake
- 200 g strawberry fresh, wash and cut into slices
- 3 tbsp sprinkles multicolor cake sprinkles
- strawberry leaves few
- Sift self raising flour, plain flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt for 3-4 times.
- Add sugar and mix the dry ingredients well.
- Mix well. This mixture is for making a big 9 inch square cake.
- I have divided the ingredients into two parts and bake them to get two sponges. You can make a single big sponge and can cut it in layers afterwards and decorate the cake. The baking time for baking a single sponge will be around 60-65 minutes or as per the oven type. I have divided the mixture into two parts and have baked two sponges.
- In a pan, melt 90 g of butter on low heat. I have used the unsalted butter. (If making a single big sponge than use the entire 200 g of butter.)
- Add the melted butter to the cake mix and mix well.
- Now add gradually 1.5 cup of milk to it and mix well. (if making a single big sponge then use 3 cups of milk)
- Mix the mixture gently to remove all the lumps.
- Grease a 9 inch square pan with butter.
- Spinkle the plain flour over it and tap it gently to all the sides . The flour will stick to the surface. Remove excess flour.
- The dusted pan is ready as shown.
- Pour the batter in the greased and dusted pan. Shake it to the sides and tap the pan for 3-4 times to remove air bubbles.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven @ 180 C for 50 minutes. (if baking a single big sponge then bake it for 60-70 minutes or till cook). Insert a toothpick . If it comes out clean the cake is done or else bake for 5-10 minutes more or till done. Similarly bake the other sponge.
- Remove, cool and unmould the cake on a wire rack. Let it cool.
- Heat thick cream on low heat in a pan.
- Cut the chocolate into pieces.
- Add the chocolate pieces and butter to the cream once it is heated and just comes to boil. Remove from heat immediately. Set aside for five minutes.
- Now mix well till all the chocolate is melted and is combined well with the cream.
- Set aside the truffle to set. Cover with a cling wrap. If you want to use early then let the truffle set in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
Assembling and decorating the cake
- Once the cake is cooled, cut the top uneven part of the cake with a serrated knife.
- Take a cake board. Spread some chocolate truffle over it.
- Take one prepared cake and place the straight side up. Spread 2-3 big scoops of chocolate truffle over it.
- Spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Take the other cake and place it on the spreaded chocolate truffle. The straight side of the cake should be facing top as shown.
- Put 2-3 big scoops of chocolate truffle over the cake and spread it over the top and then on sides of the cake.
- Spread evenly the truffle on the top surface and sides of the cake as shown.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake and again put truffle over the top surface. Spread evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
- Smooth the edges and top of the cake with the help of a scraper removing the excess of the truffle.
- If you want to give some design on the surface then with the cake decorating comb move into wave pattern into zig zag form.
- Cut the fresh strawberries into slices and put then of the sides of the cake as shown.
- Cover the remaining sides above the strawberries with the colourful sprinklers. Fill the truffle into a piping bag with the nozzle of your choice and pipe the borders on top and bottom of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with 3 fresh strawberries alongwith the leaves.
- The cake is ready. Cut it into slices and enjoy!!