I have loved chawal ki roti since childhood. I was brought up in Vapi, which is in South Gujarat (India). There people make this chawal roti. They call it as “Chokha no rotlo”. It is generally served with different spicy curries or different lentil dal, Vaal ni dal or garlic chutney. Many restaurants in Daman (which is near to Vapi) have this roti in their menu.
This roti is soft and very light to eat. It is very easily digested. There are different ways to make this roti.
I have tried many different ways and now have got this successful method of making this delicious chawal ki roti.
My son loves them very much and likes to have them with simple fried Bhindi ki subji.
Do try them and you will like to make them again and again.
Chawal Roti (Rice Flatbread)
- 1 cup rice flour i used the fine rice flour
- 1 cup water generally 1 cup water is sufficient. use 1/4 th cup of more water if required.Chawal Roti /Chokha na Rotla/Rice flatbread
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- ghee for applying over the cooked rotis
- In a pot boil 1 cup of water. When it comes to boil, add salt and 2 tsp of oil in it. Mix it. Bring it to low heat.
- Put the rice flour in it. Mix it and turn off the heat.
- Cover the dough and keep it aside for 5 minutes. so that it absorbs the water and becomes soft.
- Now remove the dough in a big bowl. With a spoon mix it well. When it cools a little knead it to a soft dough. Add one tbsp of oil and knead it till smooth. Now cover the dough and keep it aside for 25 minutes.
- Now add the remaining oil and knead the dough till smooth.
- Make lemon size balls from the dough. Flatten a ball on the board.
- Dust it with little rice flour and flatten it with hands.
- Now dust more flour and roll it into thin circle with a rolling pin. Make sure to roll it thin from the edges.
- Heat a flat pan. Roast the roti over it.
- Flip it over when bubbles start appearing.
- Now flip it again on the other side and press with the flat spatula and let it puff up and get brown spots.
- Remove the roti in a plate and apply ghee over it. Serve it hot with curry of your choice.