Since I have seen this recipe, I wanted to make it. I am too passionate about baking and am always in search of good recipes to bake. Vacations are the good time to try out new dishes. My son also has started learning baking. He also wants to help me making different recipes. The other day we went for grocery shopping. He picked up the bourbon biscuit packet from there. That is when I thought let us bake and make this bourbon biscuit at home. I told Aarav my idea and he immediately kept back the bourbon biscuit packet on the shelf back.
He has school term holidays now. He is at home and is a good company for me and helps me in cooking different dishes and taking pictures of them. Post lunch we started making the biscuit. We prepared the biscuit dough first and then rolled the dough and cut them into small rectangles. We put them on the baking tray and make holes on the biscuit with a fork. Aarav sprinkled the sugar over them. Then we baked them into two batches. The house was smelling so good. When Mithil – my husband came in the evening he told us that our house is smelling very nice.
Then while the biscuits were cooling we prepared the chocolate buttercream filling and then applied them on the biscuits and sandwiched them. Our Bourbon Biscuits are ready and we just cannot stop ourselves having them.
They were so crispy, buttery and chocolaty. The texture and shape came out very nice and the taste was awesome. If you want more chocolate flavor in it, then while making the biscuit dough add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder and then knead the dough. Since cocoa powder is added you may need around a tbsp of milk for kneading the dough.
Homemade Bourbon Biscuits
- 110 g butter unsalted butter and softened
- 110 g brown sugar
- 200 g all purpose flour maida
- 1 tsp baking soda
- salt a pinch
- 3 tsp honey
- raw granulated sugar for sprinkling. (You can use the regular white sugar)
- extra flour for dusting and rolling
Chocolate Buttercream Filling
- 150 g icing sugar
- 5 tsp cocoa powder
- 70 g butter unsalted and softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp boiling water or milk
- In a bowl add butter and brown sugar.
- Beat them together till creamy and fluffy. Add honey and beat them again.
- In another bowl sift flour, salt, and baking soda together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat it till the mixture resembles crumbs. Do not overbeat the mixture.
- With the help of spatula fold the mixture gently and then with light hands knead into dough.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four portions. Take one portion and make ball and flatten it on the working surface. Dust the surface with flour.
- Roll the dough into big oval shape and into 2-4 mm thickness.Cut the edges first and then divide the rectangle into half and then cut rectangular strips of around 1" x 2".
- Gently lift each strip and place it on the baking tray lined with baking paper or grease a baking tray. Try to place the same size pair together. With the help of fork or toothpick make holes at equal distance on rectangle strips. Sprinkle the sugar on the strips. I have used raw sugar. You can used the regular white sugar.
- Bake them for 15 minutes in preheated oven @ 170 C. Remove them on wire rack and let them cool. Now start preparing the chocolate buttercream filling for the biscuits.
Chocolate Buttercream Filling
- In a bowl add butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Beat them with an electric beater on low speed for 2 minutes. Now add 3 tsp boiling water and vanilla essence.
- Beat the mixture for 4-5 minutes on high speed till light and fluffy.
- Scrap from the edges. The chocolate buttercream filling is ready for use.
- Once the biscuits are cooled. Take the same size two biscuits. Apply 1mm layer of the prepared chocolate buttercream filling with small spatula.
- Place the other same size biscuit over it and press it lightly. The sandwich biscuit is ready. Similarly, repeat making other sandwiches. Arrange them on a plate.
- The biscuits are ready to serve. Serve them with hot tea or coffee. Or Store them in an airtight container.
3 thoughts on “Homemade Bourbon Biscuits”
Looking so perfect. unbelievable.
Where is the bourbon??