This is a popular tea time snack. The ‘Chaklis’ are crisp and golden. They are my son’s favorite. He likes to take them in the school lunch box. Hence a good option for lunch box snacks.
Chaklis are traditionally made in maharastrian and gujarati family. These are prepared during Diwali festival. They can be prepared 3-4 days before Diwali and can be stored for more than fifteen days. There are different types of chaklis and can be prepared using different kinds of flours and methods. They can be prepared from wheat flour, gram flour, mix flour of all roasted pulses (it is also known as bhajani chakli), from rice flakes ( poha). They can be made in butter, oil, malai (home made fresh cream).
Today i have made rice flour chakli. They are made with our home made malai(cream layer on the top of boiled and cooled milk). These are also called instant chaklis. I have made them with all the ingredients easily available at the home. Now I am ready to share them with you all. I have mentioned in notes about the points to be kept in mind while preparing chakli.
Instant Rice Flour Chakri
- Take a big bowl. Add turmeric, roasted jeera powder, sesame seeds, asafoetida, chilli powder, salt as per taste. Mix all the dry mix well with a spoon.
- Add malai (fresh cream ) to it. The malai is the homemade malai one which we take out from milk after boiling it and keeping it for sometime.
- Mix well.
- Add knead into a smooth dough with light hands by gradually adding water to it.
- The dough should be soft, smooth and moist.
- Now make two balls from it. Roll into a log shape and then put it into the chakli pressing machine. Grease nicely the chakli machine and put the star shape blade into it. I have the normal original machine. U can use other types u have.
- Start heating sufficient oil in a kadai. Next take a nice plastic/melamine plate and press the chakli into spiral shapes. Take the chakli press machine and start making chakli from centre and press into spiral shape in 3-4 rounds and then cut them and join the last round as shown in picture. These will come out properly with practice.
- Start frying the chaklis. The oil should be nicely heated. Now put one by one chakli into the kadai with the help of a flat spatula from the plate. Handle chakli with care while putting in the oil .Put chakli into the oil on high flame and then fry them on medium heat till golden and crisp.
- Remove the chaklis and drain on the absorbent paper. let it cool and serve. These chaklis can be stored for 15 days. They will become crisp once they are nicely cooled. So wait till they get cool and then munch on them.