Multigrain cookie is a nutritious and healthy cookie made using different flours. The cookie uses clarified butter (ghee) and is enriched with dates and honey. It is a very healthy snack and can be enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee.
I have made diabetic friendly cookie using same flours and same method. I have skipped icing sugar and cocoa powder in the recipe and have added 1 tbsp of honey. The flavor of cookie is enhanced with cardamom powder. I have shaped the cookies into small balls and then flatten them using fork.
My father in law was diagnosed with diabetes. Though it was on a border but he was very cautious and did not take any sugar. Pearl millet, chick pea and finger millet are considered to be good for diabetic person. So I thought of using them to make cookies. I have used only dates to sweeten the cookies. You can use medjool dates if available. The cookies came out very well and he enjoyed them a lot.
- 1 cup pearl millet flour bajra flour or barjra atta
- 1/2 cup finger millet flour ragi or nachani flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup semolina sooji
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour gram flour or besan
- 15 black dates soft khajoor crushed
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup ground pistachios
- 3/4 cup ghee or clarified butter and a tbsp of more if needed. I have used Amul ghee
- 3 tbsp milk or more if needed to knead the dough
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- In a big mixing bowl, add all the flours - pearl millet (bajra), finger millet (ragi/nachani), whole wheat flour, semolina (sooji), chickpea flour (besan), cocoa powder, and icing sugar.
- Add powdered almonds, powdered pistachio and crushed dates mixture and honey. (Crush dates to soft with 1/4 ghee in a mixer grinder. Now take the crushed dates in a bowl with rest of the ghee , mix well and beat a little).
- Mix them well with finger tips to resemble like crumbs.
- Gradually add milk.
- Knead to a smooth soft pliable dough. Cover and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal balls. Roll the ball with the help of a rolling pin into 8 mm thick circles by placing them between the greased plastic sheet. Cut into desired shape with the help of cookie cutter.
- Place the cut cookies on a greased baking tray. ( I have baked them in microwave using convection mode).
- Bake the cookies @ 160 C for 18 min or till golden. Cool them on a wire rack.
- The cookies are cooled and ready to serve. Store them in an airtight container for 10-12 days. Enjoy them with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Multigrain cookies are ready to serve.