At home, I try to avoid all-purpose flour. I try to make the dishes using 100% whole wheat flour or a mixture of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. This time my son wanted me to bake pizza at home and he wanted the base to be like the store ones. I promised him I will bake pizza base at home for our Friday pizza night. The store bought pizza base has a lot of all purpose flour added to it. I do not want to compromise on the health benefits. So I decided to make pizza base with whole wheat flour with a small quantity of all-purpose flour added to it.
I used 3 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour. The pizza base came out very well. It was soft and not chewy. When baked with the sauce and toppings, it turned out soft from inside and crispy from outside. It was the way we wanted. This quantity of flour is sufficient to bake 4 big thin crust pizza (30 cm diameter) or 8 small thick crust pizza (15 cm diameter). You can also make mini pizza or cut out pizza base with different shape cutters or make a rectangle or square base. Since I have used more wheat flour I kneaded the dough more. Kneading more makes the pizza soft.
You can bake the base earlier and keep it ready. You then just have to assemble and bake and serve the pizza. I also prepare pizza sauce at home. It is fresh and preservative free. It takes very little of your time to make it.
You can also freeze the base. After cooling the base, pack them in the ziplock bag. Remove the air and seal them. It can be frozen for up to three months. Whenever you want to use them just remove from the freezer and let them come to room temperature and use them.
Next on my list is trying 100% whole wheat pizza and gluten-free pizza base.
Whole Wheat Pizza Base
- In a deep bowl take lukewarm water and add sugar to it. Mix well. Add 2 sachet (2 tsp) or 14 of instant dry yeast.
- Mix it well gently. Cover and keep it to rise for 15 minutes in warm place. I put it in the microwave.
- In a bowl add wheat flour, all purpose flour and salt. Mix them well.
- Make a well in the center and add 2 tbsp olive oil in it.
- After 15 minutes, the yeast will rise and become frothy and bubbly.
- Add the bubbly yeast mixture in the well .
- Now with the help of spatula mix the oil and yeast mixture with the flour.
- Take the flour mixture on the kitchen counter and knead well streching vertically and kneading back for 8-10 minutes. The mixture will be sticky then.
- Add little water if the mixture seems dry and knead well.
- After some time the mixture will start leaving the surface and will become smooth.
- Add the remaining oil and smoothen the dough.
- Now take a greased bowl and put the smoothen dough in it. Cover it with a cling wrap and keep it in a warm place for 1 hour for the dough to rise. I keep it in a microwave.
- After 1 hour the dough has risen.
- Punch the flour with your fist. This helps to remove the air bubbles generated with the yeast.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder. Cut into four equal parts if you want to make big size thin pizza base or into 8 parts if small pizza of 15 cm diameter. ( I had made two big thin crust base and rest 4 small thick pizza)
- Roll into balls
- Keep again in a cling wrap and let it rise for 15 minutes.
- Dust the surface with flour. Take a ball and flatten it into small disc.
- Fold and tuck the sides inside and make a ball.
- Now with the help of rolling pin roll the pizza base as per your choice into big thin circle or small big circle or rectangle or square. Prick the base with fork evenly.
- Bake the base in a preheated oven @200 c for 15 minutes
- Remove the base and let it cool. The pizza base is ready to use. Put the sauce and topping of your choice on the base and bake it @200 C for 10 minutes or till crisp and serve. The pizza base can be frozen and stored for about 3 months.