Bread pinwheel sandwich or as my son calls it, Bread Sushi, is a small bite-sized sandwich. The buttered slice of bread is filled with various types of filling and it is then rolled tightly into a log. The log is then cut into slices with a sharp knife.
This small bite-sized sandwich is good for kids’ parties. It can also be served as an appetizer for high tea party along with tea or coffee. It can be a good treat for kids lunch box. It is very eye appealing.
This sandwich is very easy to make.
- Select a good quality big-sized bread if available.
- Cut the edges of bread with a knife.
- Here we need a single slice of bread. The bread is rolled thin with a rolling pin.
- Apply butter, jam, peanut butter, mayonnaise, cream cheese, Nutella, chutney, or any spread of your choice.
- Put the filling of your choices such as thinly stripped veggies, veggie roll, cheese slice, ham slice, salami, tofu, paneer, fruit slices or any veg or non-veg filling as per your taste. (make sure that the filling is in thin strips/ slices and is less in quantity. Do not overfill the bread. It will become difficult to roll the bread into a roll.)
- Start rolling the bread from one side tightly.
- If you want you can cling wrap the prepared roll and refrigerate them for 30 minutes before cutting, Or you can directly cut it into slices and serve. Refrigerating the roll makes it firm and easy to cut. While cutting, cut the uneven end first. If you are serving at kids’ parties you can put toothpick along the cut slices making it easier to eat.
My son loves mini sushi and so one day I thought of making something with bread that looks like a mini sushi. I made the cheese and cucumber pinwheel sandwich for his lunch box and he was very happy and called it bread sushi. From then on, I started making different combinations of bread sushi for him such as cucumber and lettuce, carrot and bell pepper, spinach and omelet. He enjoys this in his lunch box.
I make this pinwheel sandwich and carry it as a snack for a picnic. This time I made it along with different fresh veggies and salad leaves for a picnic. I have shown the step by step method of making it below.
Make and enjoy this pinwheel sandwich!!
Bread Pinwheel Sandwich/Bread Sushi
- 12 slices wholemeal bread
- 12 tsp butter
- 12 slies cheese
- 1/2 cucumber cut lenghtwise
- 1 small carrot sliced lenghtwise with slicer
- 1/4 beet root cut into thin strip
- 1/2 cup lettuce shredded
- 1/2 cup mixed salad leaves washed. (Spinach, kale, rocket leaves)
- 1/4 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- Wash, cut different veggies into stips.
- Cut the edges of the bread.
- Roll the bread very thin with a rolling pin.
- Apply butter to the bread slices.
- Put cheese slice, shredded lettuce, cucumber strip, red bell pepper strip, carrot slices, beetroot strip, In some bread slice I have also placed the salad leaves. It can be seen in the final image.
- Roll the bread tightly into a log.
- Cut into slices and serve.
1 thought on “Bread Pinwheel Sandwich/Bread Sushi”
Looking so lovely.