I like baking cakes and also decorating them. I had made a cake for my son’s birthday; It was an AFL Sydney Swan team logo theme cake . I had used buttercream icing for decorating the cake. There was some buttercream icing left after the cake was decorated. I usually try to make cookies or biscuits out of it. This time I baked biscuits and they turned out very tasty and crunchy. The recipe does not use any leavening agents as baking soda or baking powder.
I have made them with desiccated coconut. I like the smell and taste of cardamon and it goes well along with coconut. You can use dry nuts powder in place of coconut.
These biscuits are perfect for high tea. Just invite your friends for the high tea and bake these quick biscuits. You can also gift them to your friends and family during the festivals.
So do not throw away the icing, just use it to make the biscuits of your choice.
Even if you have the left iced cakes, just remove the icing layer from it and bake a cookie from it.
The ratio goes 1 cup of buttercream : 2 cups of flour (if you want a crunchy biscuit)
1 cup of buttercream : 1.25 cups of flour (for a melt in mouth biscuit)
Crunchy Coconut Biscuits
- In a bowl, take butter cream icing, whole wheat flour and all purpose flour. (here you can make biscuit with entire whole wheat flour or all purpose flour). I have used them in 50:50 ratio.
- Add the dessicated coconut and cardamon powder to it.
- Mix them well with a spoon. It will form crumbs.
- Gradually (tbsp by tbsp) add cold milk to it and knead the dough gently with your hands. I required around 4 tbsp of milk. The quantity of milk will vary as per the type of flour. After kneading the dough, cover it or cling wrap it and let it rest for 20 minutes in fridge.
- Now make four parts from it. Take one part and flatten it on rolling board.
- Roll the dough into 4 mm thick circle.
- Cut the circle into desired shapes. (I have cut them into diamond and squares. But have shown you the pictures of squared shape biscuits.)
- Bake them in the preheated oven at 180 C for 15-17 minutes. Remove them from oven and cool them. Similarly make the biscuits with other remaining parts.
- Serve them or store them in an airtight container.