Pizza is an authentic Italian dish and originates from the same country. It is has a flat round base of dough. and is topped with tomato sauce, different veggies as per choice and cheese . It can be topped with meat, fish or chicken along with veggies and cheese. It is then baked and served.
Generally, the sauce which is used to spread on the base is made of tomatoes. There are many different types of pizzas and since they are now relished globally they are often made as per the local country ingredients and taste. They can be made from thin crust or thick crust base.
Today, I have made the pizza with the popular basil pesto. Instead of a tomato based sauce, I have spread fresh basil pesto on the whole wheat pizza base. I have topped my pizza with baby spinach, feta cheese, mushroom slices and cherry tomatoes. The combination of spinach with feta cheese and tomatoes with pesto is wonderful . The pizza will also look tempting due to the presence of different colors in it. Feta cheese and basil pesto have salt in it and hence there is no need to add the extra salt in the pizza. I have stir fried the mushroom slices till brown.
We, at our home, enjoyed this variant of pizza. And I am sure you will love it too.
Feta Pesto Veggie Delight Pizza
- 1 whole wheat pizza base. (one big family size or the size you want to make)
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 100 g cherry tomato cut in slices
- 100 g baby spinach (washed and clean)
- 100 g mushroom sliced
- 100 g feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (1/2 tbsp to saute mushroom, 1/2 tbsp to be applied on pizza base)
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper powder freshly grounded
- Heat olive oil in the pan. Saute mushroom slices on high heat for 5 minutes.
- They will become brown. Add oregano to it and mix well.
- Arrange all the ingredients required for making pizza (basil pesto, feta cheese and veggie toppings)
- Take a big whole wheat pizza base and apply olive oil and butter on it.
- Apply basil pesto on it.
- Top the prepared base with sliced cherry tomatoes, spinach (keep aside some spinach for garnishing ), mushrooms and feta. Sprinkle black pepper powder on it.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 220 C for 15 minutes. Remove and arrange fresh spinach leaves on it.
- Cut it into wedges and serve.