The schools have started in full swing. Back to the routine of making different dishes for Aarav’s lunch box. I always strive to give healthy food for all the tiffin breaks in the school. I keep on trying new ideas for tiffin that are healthy and tasty.
Cupcake is the good option for small tiffin breaks in the school. My son loves to eat them. I thus wanted to try out a healthy cupcake recipe. I thought of using apple along with dates in making the cupcake. I have used whole wheat flour along with the oats. I have used oil instead of butter. Cinnamon and nutmeg are used to give the flavor and aroma to the cupcakes. The combination of apple and cinnamon is simply the best. Since dates are used, the sugar needed is very less. Or you can skip sugar entirely and use honey. I have used a little amount of honey and sugar. I sometimes use one ripe banana if available. If you put banana then there is no need to put any sugar.
I make different variations of cupcakes weekly and store them in the fridge. They can last for 10-12 days. I pack one cupcake every day for tiffin (if they are still left in the fridge).
They are enjoyed best warm with a cup of tea or coffee. Besides they are a handy option for little sweet cravings. Since they are healthy you can have them guilt free.
Eggless Oats, Apple And Date Cupcakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup powdered oats i have powdered the rolled oats in mixer
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- salt a pinch
- 1 medium apple washed and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup date chopped or crushed into paste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp vinegar I have used the apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup choco chips just to sprinkle on top while baking the cake
- In a mixer jar, add chopped apples, crushed dates paste, milk , oil and honey. Blend them well till smooth.
- Add the sugar and again blend them well till smooth and creamy.
- Remove the blended mixture in a bowl and add vinegar to it. Keep it aside for five minutes and the mixture will curdle as shown.
- In the meantime, sift the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, powdered oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder)
- Mix the dry ingredients to the curdled wet ingredients. Mix them gently.( if required add one-two tablespoons of milk to get desired cake batter consistency. )
- Pour the batter in the cupcake moulds lined with cupcake liner. Sprinkle choco chips over them. Bake them in the preheated oven at 180 C for 25 minutes or till done.
- Remove from the moulds and let them cool.
- Serve or store them.