My son loves idli.
Aarav: “Mummy I am hungry”.
Mummy: “Aarav what would you like to have”?
So then if I have idli batter ready then the demand can be fulfilled.
But many times there is no idli batter available. So now what to do?
This is now the time for instant rava idli.
Rava idli is very soft, easy and quick to make. It does not require any grinding or fermentation. Hence it is a good option for those who avoid fermented food and rice.
Be careful with the proportions while making the idli and the result will be a super soft and fluffy idli.
I frequently make rava idli for my son’s school lunch box. Each time I try some variations while making it – such as palak rava idli (with spinach), carrot rava idli, beetroot rava idli. They are colorful, tasty and healthy.
With the same idli batter, you can make instant rava dhokla. Add ginger chili paste to the batter and the make them in a greased dish instead of idli mold. Temper with oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, asafoetida, and curry leaves. Pour the tempered mix on the prepared dhokla and serve them to your guests who have just come on short notice.
Enjoy making this idli any time.
Instant Rava Idli
- 1.25 cup semolina (sooji - use a coarse form). I have used the cup used for baking purpose.
- 1 cup plain yogurt curd
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- salt as per taste
- oil for greasing idli mould and for applying on idlis
- Take semolina in a bowl. (use the same cup to measure semolina, curd and water). The cup size can vary but the proportion remains the same i.e. semolina:curd:water is 1.25:1:1. I have used the cup used for measuring baking ingredients.
- Add curd, asafoetida (hing) , baking soda and salt to it.
- Now add water and mix it well to make batter. Cover and let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
- Put water to boil in the steamer. Grease the idli mould and pour a ladle full of batter into each mould.
- Place the idli mould in the steamer and cover and cook it for 8-10 minutes. Remove the stand and let it cool. Brush the top of the idlis with oil while they are cooling in the stand.
- Cool and unmould the idlis and serve them hot. They are super soft.