Eggless Whole Wheat Ladi Pav (Bun) are soft homemade pav made using whole wheat flour and all purpose flour in 50:50 ratio. They can be enjoyed with various dished such as piping hot pav bhaji , misal or can be used to make dabeli or vada pav. They can be toasted lightly with butter and can be enjoyed with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
They are super soft and springs up back when pressed down with your hands.
See how wonderful the net in formed in the pav.
With the same dough I have made eggless chocolate donuts and eggless pizza scroll. I will share the recipe with you soon.
Eggless whole wheat pav (bun), eggless chocolate donuts and eggless pizza scroll made using same dough.
Friends do try this wonderful recipe of making homemade pav and you will make it always at your home. Do share your feedback with me.
Till then khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Eggless Whole Wheat Ladi Pav (Bun)
- mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- baking tin
- cling wrap or damp kitchen towel
- 2 cup whole wheat flour (you can use 100% wheat flour or add 50:50 %of both wheat flour and all purpose flour). The quantity of water need to be adjusted if using 100 %whole wheat flour.
- 2 cup all purpose flour maida
- 4 tsp instant dry yeast (two sachet of 7 gm)
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- 3/4 cup milk lukewarm
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp milk for brushing pav
- 1 tsp olive oil for greasing
- 1 tbsp butter for brushing pav post baking
- In a bowl take lukewarm water. (I prefer boiling it at 40 C in the kettle or microwave for 40 sec or just lukewarm to touch if boiling on a stove top). Add sugar and mix well till it dissolves.
- Add the instant dry yeast. Mix well. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast in a warm place. (I have placed the bowl in microwave).
- In a mixing bow add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, milk powder and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Mix well.
- Now make a well in the centre as shown.
- After 10 minutes, the yeast is activated and risen and frothy. (This shows that the yeast is fresh and good for using).
- Now add the activated yeast mixture and mix well with spoon or hands.
- Add lukewarm milk to it and mix well with hands or spoon.
- Now with hands mix everything well. The dough will be too sticky.
- Knead for around 10 minutes with your hands. This process is very important to create the gluten in the dough. (knead the dough in vertical direction with help of your palms and then bring it together and knead again in vertical direction for 10 min. ) The dough will be sticky and after 7-8 minutes will start coming together as shown.
- After 10 minutes, the dough will come together as shown.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and smooth the dough.
- The dough will become smooth and elastic such that when pressed with your fingers, the dough will rise back.
- Now grease a big deep bowl with oil and place the kneaded dough in it. Cover with lid or clingwrap or a damp kitchen towel and keep it for 1 hour in a warm place for 1st proving. ( I have kept in the microwave )
- After 1 hour, the dough will rise and become double in size.
- Punch the bowl with your fist to remove air bubbles as shown.
- Take the dough on your kitchen top or a board and even it in a circle. (To make it convenient and easy I had cut dough into two parts)
- With the help of knife divide the dough into equal portions like cutting the pizza as shown. (I got eight portions from my first part of dough and remaining 4 in rest part).
- Make smooth balls from each portions by tucking the sides of the dough inside.
- Grease the baking tin with oil and place the balls inside. Brush the balls with milk. Cover with cling wrap or damp kitchen towel and keep the tin aside for 40-45 minutes for 2nd proving.
- After 40-45 minutes, the balls have risen and doubled in size. Brush with milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at @200°C or till golden from top. Remove from the oven.
- Brush the baked pav with butter and cover with damp kitchen towel and keep aside to cool. Once the pav are cooled run knife around the edge of the tin and unmould the pav.
- The homemade eggless wholewheat ladi pav (bun) are ready to serve.
- They are so soft and moist.
- Cut them and enjoy them with pav bhaji or use for dabeli or vada pav or just apply butter and toast lightly and enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee.