Makai No Chino/ Makai No Chevdo/ Makai Ni Khichdi/ Hot Corn Snack is a very delicious and tasty dish made using fresh corn . The grated fresh corn is cooked along with ginger garlic and chilies and has a balance of sweet and tangy taste. It is a quick and easy dish and can be enjoyed as hot snack or can be served as a side dish or packed for lunch box. It is vegan and skip asafoetida to make it glutenfree.
I have learnt this recipe from my mother in law (Geeta Shah). Traditionally, the recipe is cooked using white corn (desi makai). To key to get the perfect taste to the dish is by using the balanced proportion of the ingredients – sugar, lemon juice and salt. If you are using desi makai you will need to add more sugar. I have used fresh american sweet corn and as they are sweet in taste I have skipped adding sugar to the dish.
Also most people prefer adding milk while cooking the grated corn. I have cooked using water as at my in -law’s place cooking garlic, chili and lemon with milk is considered to be a “virrudh aahar” (incompatible food combinations). So my mother in law will not use milk to cook the dish. The consistency of the dish can be adjusted by as per your choice. Add more water if you need the chino to be loose consistency.
Traditionally fresh tender corn is grated and used in the recipe. Grate means “chinvo” in Gujarati and since the recipe is made using grated corn it is known as makai no chino in Gujarati. It is also known as makai no chevdo or makai in khichdi. However if you have corn kernels (frozen or fresh) you can grind them to a coarse paste in grinder and use.
So friends do make this easy, quick and delicious recipe for your loved ones and share your feed back with me!!
Till then khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Makai No Chino/ Makai No Chevdo/ Makai Ni Khichdi/ Hot Corn Snack
- 3 sweet corn grated. When you grate the sweetcorn with grater, a lot of juice will be removed to. Use it in the dish. (I have used American sweet corn)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed rai
- 1 tsp sesame seed til
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 14 curry leaves
- 2 green chili chopped or as per spice level needed
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste You can avoid garlic any add only ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coriander washed and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan or a nonstick pan. Add mustard seed. When they start crackling add sesame seeds.
- Add fresh chili, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add ginger garlic paste. (You can skip adding garlic if do not prefer eating it).
- Saute well for a minute and then add turmeric to it. Mix well.
- Add grated sweetcorn and its juice. Add water and salt.
- Mix well .
- Cover with lid and cook for 10 -12 minutes or till the water is absorbed on medium heat stirring in between. (Adjust the consistency as per your choice).
- Add coriander and lemon juice.
- Mix well and cook of a minute. The makai no chino or chevdo or khichdi is ready to serve.
- Serve piping hot makai no chino/makai no chevdo/makai ni khichdi/hot corn snack in a bowl and garnish with coriander.
6 thoughts on “Makai No Chino/ Makai No Chevdo/ Makai Ni Khichdi/ Hot Corn Snack”
Amazing instant recipe which adds a variety to daily meals ! My whole family enjoyed its lip smacking taste 😋😋
Thank you so much !! I am glad that you all enjoyed it!! Happy cooking!!
Really nice recipe! We really enjoyed it, thank you 🙂
Thank you so much !! I am glad that you all enjoyed it!!
Very delicious recipe Swapna
We all enjoyed it