Whenever I go to the restaurant for a buffet breakfast, I am tempted to eat the banana bread they serve. This bread is super soft, moist and moreover packed with the goodness of banana. Many of us don’t like to consume banana in its original form and so this bread is an alternate way to eat bananas. I personally don’t eat bananas, but can happily enjoy the warm banana bread with a cup of hot tea. I just wanted to bake this bread at home.
I have tried baking it with eggs. The results of baking with eggs is always good. But I wanted to bake an eggless banana cake. I also wanted it to be healthy. I have used here whole wheat flour, the finger millet or red millet (ragi ) flour, honey, ripe bananas, milk powder, nuts and oil. The bananas tend to become sweeter once they are ripe and so I have not added extra sugar to it. I have used honey for extra sweetness. The quantity of banana depends on their size. Use three bananas if they are big in size or else use four bananas. But the bananas should be ripe. I have shown the pic of the bananas I have used. The skin of the bananas should have black spots. As I have used the finger millet flour, the bread is dark in colour. I have used milk powder to get the crumb like texture of bread.
If you do not have ragi you can try this cake with soya bean flour. You can also use entire whole wheat flour or all purpose flour to it.
This healthy banana cake is a good option for the kids lunch box. My son likes to apply nutella over it and enjoy it as a treat. It really tastes super delicious.
Here is the step by step recipe of this wonderful, delicious, healthy , super soft and moist banana bread.
Eggless Wholewheat, Ragi (Finger Millet Or Red Millet) And Banana Bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 0.5 cup finger millet flour red millet or ragi flour
- 0.5 cup milk powder
- 3 banana big and riped
- 0.5 cup oil any refined oil which does not have smell
- 2/3 cup honey
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg powder
- salt a pinch
- 0.5 cup dry nuts powdered (almonds and walnuts)
- Take big ripe bananas as shown.
- Sift the whole wheat flour, ragi flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda. I sift them for 4-5 times.
- In a bowl mash the banana with the help of a masher till smooth and pulpy.
- Add honey and oil to it.
- Beat it till fluffy with the help of electric beater. You can also beat it with the help of hand beater. Beat it for a little more time if using hand beater.
- Add milk powder.
- Beat well.
- Now gradually add the sifted flour mix at a time .
- Mix well. Do not over mix it.
- Add the powdered dry nuts mix.
- Fold in gently.
- Pour the prepared batter in the greased and dusted bread pan. Tap the pan.
- Bake it in the preheated oven @ 180 deg celcius for 1 hour or till done. Insert the toothpick and check. If it comes out clean the bread is done. If not then bake for a little more till done.
- Remove from the oven. Cool for five minutes and unmould.
- Cut the loaf into pieces and serve warm.
- Banana bread is ready to serve.