Mawa or Khoya is a very important ingredient in many of the Indian dishes. It is the main ingredient in many sweet dishes. The process of making mawa is lengthy. It is made after heating and boiling full fat milk for hours till milk is evaporated and milk solids are left. The process requires constant stirring as the milk should not stick the bottom of the vessel in which it is boiled. Hence many people end up buying from the shops. But there are places where mawa or khoya is not easily available in the shops.
So here is the quick and easy recipe of making mawa or khoya at home within 15 minutes. There is not much preparations or cooking required. The main ingredient used is milk powder. But always try to use a full fat milk powder. It gives very best results.
This instant mawa or khoya made from milk powder can be used in making many sweet dishes like peda, burfi, ladoos, ghujiya, mohanthal, gajar ka halwa, dhudhi ka halwa and many more. It also can be used in making curries such as khoya kaju. You can crumble it or grate it as per the requirement of the recipe. This mawa/khoya can be refrigerated and used for 8-10 days.
I have shared the recipe for making milk powder peda from the above made mawa.
Mawa From Milk Powder
- Take full fat milk powder in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, add ghee and milk. Heat the mixuture.
- Heat the mixture till it just comes to boil.
- Add this ghee and milk mixture to the milk powder. Mix it with a spoon.
- It will start coming together. If you find it dry then add a tsp of milk or as required. If the mixture becomes sticky then add 1/4 th cup of more milk powder.
- Shape the mixture to the desired shape. Let it cool. It will harden after cooling.
- Instant milk powder Mawa or Khoya is ready. Store it in an airtight container. Keep refrigerated for a week and use as per the requirement.