My son was asking me one day about the dishes I liked as a child and which my mother cooked for me. The list was long. “Maa Ke Haath ” ka jadu. I miss the dishes my mom used to make. Though simple, I still remember the delicious taste. I told him about Bharwan Baigan Aloo. My brother and I used to like it very much. We were very happy when we came home from school and our mother served us this yummy bharwan baigan aloo. It was heavenly.
So my son was tempted to eat them and told me to prepare nani style bharwan baigan aloo. It was challenging for me to make it exactly as she made it. I also wanted my son to start loving this new dish.
I then called my mom and asked her the exact recipe and the ingredients and the process. She gave me a very detailed explanation about how to cook the recipe and also shared some small things to be taken care of while preparing them. I have mentioned those in the note section below.
The recipe turned out very well and my husband and son both loved it. I was very happy and so wanted to share with you this tasty recipe.
This recipe is made using small brinjals and potatoes. The stuffing has rich flavors of coconut, onion, peanuts, regular spices and a unique flavor of nigella seeds (kalnonji)
I am sure you all will like it!!
Bharwan Baigan Aloo
- 3 brinjal small
- 12 baby potato
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder can be adjusted as spicy you want
- 4 tbsp coriander cumin powder
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp nigella seeds kalonji
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 2 tbsp roasted peanut powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- In a plate put all the stuffing ingredients - grated onion, desiccated coconut, roasted peanut powder, sugar, kalonji (nigella seeds), ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder.
- Mix them all. Add chopped coriander.
- Mix them well with light hands.
- Peel potatoes and slit them vertically and horizontally till 3/4th depth. Take brinjal and remove the stem and slit them vertically and horizontally till 3/4th depth. Now fill the prepared stuffing in them carefully. If the brinjals are big then cut them into half and then slit them as above and fill the stuffing. Keep aside the left over stuffing.
- In a thick bottom pan or non-stick pan heat oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.When they crackle add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Put the stuffed potatoes into it and toss them well and cook them covered for 5-7 minutes or till semi soft.
- Now once the potatoes are semi soft add the stuffed brinjals. Toss them well. (potatoes take more time to cook then brinjal and hence we semi cook them first and then add brinjals to them).
- Cover and cook potatoes and brinjals till done.
- Now add the left stuffing mixture to them. Toss them gently and cook for 3 -4 minutes.
- Add the chopped coriander and remove from heat.
- Serve the hot bharwan baigan aloo with roti of your choice. I have served it with jowar roti.