Plum is a very nutritious fruit. It is a good source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Ripe plums are sweet to taste. Plums can be black, red, orange or green in color.
Plums can be eaten fresh. They can also be used in making jams, juices, wines, cakes or salad. Dried plums are known as prunes and contain several antioxidants. Plums and prunes are both known for their laxative effect. Their juice helps to regulate the functioning of digestive system.
I like to eat the plums but my son and husband do not want to eat it directly because they find it sour to eat and so I try to prepare juice for them. They enjoy the fresh plum juice and that makes all of us happy.
I had black plums on Sunday. My son and husband like to go on cycle rides. They went for cycling in the morning and I thought of welcoming them back with this delicious plum juice instead of any ready made juices that are loaded preservatives and sugar. I also thought of serving them in a fashionable way like a mocktail. So I prepared the serving glass by rubbing its rim in salt and pepper mixture. I then decorated it by putting a slice of lime on the rim.
When they came back the juice was ready in decorative glasses. It looked quite appealing and they were impressed. These small things make one happy. The juice was balanced with the sweet, sour and salt tastes. It was a healthy refreshing treat for the boys after cycling on a hot day.
The plum juice served is very easy and quick to make. Wash plums properly before using them as they might have pesticides on them. I wash them nicely and keep them in a bowl of water for 10-15 minutes. You can adjust the sugar and salt as per your taste. If you want it to be 100% sweet, skip adding salt to it. I have used rock salt/ sanchal/ Himalayan black salt. It has good cooling property and aids in digestion in the body. I have also added roasted cumin seed powder which again helps to cool the body.
You can prepare it and store in an airtight glass bottle or jar and keep refrigerated. Decorate the glasses and keep the refrigerated too. Serve the chilled juice in the chilled glasses to your guests as a welcome drink or an appetizer for the evening party.
So friends enjoy your kitty party, birthday celebration or any occasion with this healthy drink.
- 4 black plums washed and chopped
- 1 tsp rock salt sanchal
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 6 tsp raw sugar you can use plain sugar or honey
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 3 slices lime slit from one side to center
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- In a mixer jar add chopped plums, rock salt, sugar, cumin powder.
- Blend into a puree.
- Add water and blend it again.
- Strain the juice with the soup strianer.
- Add lime juice and mix it well.
For decorating serving glasses
- In a small dish, add salt and pepper. Mix well and keep aside, slice the lime into thin slices with small slit from edge to center. Rub the rim of the glasses with the lime to make it wet.
- Invert the glass in the salt and pepper mixture prepared in the dish. Gently move it till the salt and pepper stick to the rim.
- Decorate with the lime slices.. The glasses are ready. You can keep in the fridge to get cool and use them when serving the juice.
- Pour the plum juice in the decorated glass and enjoy every sip of it.