In my recipe for whole wheat bread , I divided the dough in two parts. I used the first part for making the bread loaf. The other part I further divided it into two parts to make whole wheat nutella flower bread and braided bread. This is the recipe for braided bread. You can either use the entire dough for making one big braided bread or you can divide it into multiple parts and make braided bread of different sizes. The small size braided bread shown here look really elegant and are the best party pick ups. They can be used as a starter and served oven fresh in your parties. These small braided breads are easy to carry and can be a good option for picnic or pot luck. You can make them a day in advance and then serve them warm. I have sprinkled some flax seeds over them. You can top it with any seeds of your choice or any dry or fresh herbs.
Enjoy making and baking it. Serve it to your near and dear ones and you will be appreciated for the efforts you have put in.
Whole Wheat Braided Bread
- 4 cups whole wheat flour Use 3.5 cups for kneading and 0.5 cups for dusting and further addition of dough if required for kneading.
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp instant dry yeast (two sachet of 7 gm)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup water (luke warm)
- 3/4 cup milk lukewarm
- 4 tbsp oil and little more for greasing dough
- 1 tbsp butter brushing the braided bread
- 1 tbsp extra milk brushing the braided bread
- 1 tbsp flax seeds sprinkling on the braided bread
- After the second proving as mentioned in the recipe for whole wheat bread, take the flour and roll it in the shape of a log.( If you want to use the entire dough in making one braided loaf then use the entire dough for the procedure . If you want to make it in small portions then divide the dough into the numbers you want and then follow the procedure below for making braids. )
- Now make three parts from the dough and roll them as shown.
- Start making braids. Pinch one end together. Now first overlap the left side roll on the middle dough. Then the place the right roll over the left overlapped roll. Now take the middle roll on left side and bring it up for overlapping the right roll. take the left roll and overlap on the middle roll and continue further this way making the braids.
- Once the braids are done, Pinch the other ends together. Place it for second proving for 45 minutes.
- The bread is risen after the proving. Sprinkle the flax seeds over them and brush it with milk.
- Bake it in preheated oven for 20 min at 200 C
- Brush it with butter and serve.