Baking is my passion and I just love baking different types of cakes. At my home, everyone prefers eggless cakes. I have always made different types of eggless cakes such as eggless carrot cake, Eggless dates and walnut cake, eggless orange and almond cake, eggless strawberry cupcake, eggless whole wheat cake.
Eggless baking is fun. I have always achieved good results. You can use ingredients such as curd, vinegar, aerated drink, condensed milk for making the eggless cake. They help in making cakes spongy and fluffy. Many people also try to use flax seed powder as an egg substitute. In many supermarkets, you can find egg replacer powder and it can be used to get good eggless cake.
I have been baking this chocolate sponge cake for past 8-9 years and believe me it is an error-free recipe. Always remember to use the ingredients as per the measurements mentioned in the recipe. The ingredients should be at room temperature and baking soda and baking powder should be fresh. These simple tips will always result in a good cake.
This cake can be used as a base for other decorative cakes. I have made Barbie cake, car cake, Mickey Mouse club house cake, Batman cake, Chota Bheem cake, Doremon cake and Simba cake using this eggless cake as the base. Last month I made a Sydney swans cake for my son’s birthday using this as a base.
Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake
- Melt butter on a very low heat in a thick bottom pan. Remove from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Sift all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt for three time. (Sifting the dry ingredients helps in uniform mixing of the dry ingredients and helps in getting aeration .
- After the butter comes to room temperature, add the condense milk to it.
- Beat it well with a hand whisk for 3-4 minutes till the mixture becomes white, light and fluffy.
- Now add the dry ingredients gradually in two batches.
- Mix them well with light hands.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Now add the cola drink to it.
- Give it a quick mix.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 150 C or till done. The time varies from oven to oven. Just check by inserting the toothpick. If it comes our clean the cake is done or bake for further 5 -10 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and unmould the cake on a wire rack. Serve it warm or cold. Use it as a base for making different kinds of cakes such as black forest or any theme cake.
- I have made both in square and round tin. So have shared the pics of both.