I had once gone to Alibaug, which is near Mumbai. Alibaug is a coastal town in Raigad District of Maharastra and It is famous for its beaches. One can enjoy the local Maharashtrian delicacies while staying there. We also enjoy the various local dishes such as thalipeeth, bharleli vangi, kandi bhaji, kanda pohe, pithla bhakar, kobi chana chi bhaji (cabbage and chana dal subji).
On our way back from Alibaug the cottage cook had packed us this Maharashtrian style, simple but full of flavors, cabbage chana dal subji for our lunch along with phulka roti, rice and dal. We had stopped on our way to a small temple and we had our food sitting under the shade of a tree there. We had visited this place with our dear friends Shanthi and Koushik Krishnan and their sweet little daughter Kavya. We had a very lovely time spent together.
Since then, I have felt in love with this simple dish. I prepare it a lot of times at my home.
This time I thought of sharing with you all.
The chana dal adds crunchiness and nutty taste to the bland taste of cabbage. It is also a good source of protein and goes well with a green vegetable.
You can cook this dish in different ways. Some people boil the chana dal separately and then add it to the cabbage while cooking. For a quicker recipe, many people pressure cook the dal and then use it with the cabbage.
I like the method shown below. It takes a little more time but the taste of chana dal is blended well with the cabbage.
You can also use fresh or desiccated coconut while making the dish.
Enjoy this Maharashtrian style dish with plain roti, puri or plain rice and curd.
Cabbage Chana Dal Subji
- 500 g cabbage chopped lenghtwise
- 0.5 cup chana dal soaked for 30 minutes in warm water
- 2 green chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander chopped
- 4 tbsp oil
- water as required to cook dal
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves,green chilies, asafoetida, turmeric powder.
- Add the soaked chana dal and water. Cover and cook it till chana dal are soft but not mushy.
- Add the chopped cabbage, salt and red chili powder.
- Mix well. Cover and cook till cabbage is cooked.
- Add the chopped coriander.
- Mix well and saute for a minute. The cabbage chana dal subji is done.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander and serve . It goes well with roti, plain rice or parathas