Eggless Red Velvet Cupcake With Buttercream Icing is a velvety soft, moist and fluffy red-brown chocolate eggless cupcake with homemade vanilla flavored buttercream icing on it. It is a perfect treat for any celebration.
My son (Aarav) for his 10th birthday celebration at school requested me to make red velvet cupcakes. So the mother puts her apron on and with all her baking tools makes this soft, velvety, moist cupcakes on his demand. The cupcakes came out so well and were enjoyed by his friends and teachers at the school. When I went to pick up Aarav after school, his teacher came and told me “the cupcake were yummy and enjoyed by all in the class”. That made by day!!
The red velvet cupcake are enjoyed by cream cheese icing or butter cream icing on it. I have made buttercream icing at home and am sharing with you all the recipe of making smooth butter cream icing.
Now a days we have started getting the red velvet oreo biscuits in the market and hence I have used them for decorating the red velvet cupcake.
The red velvet cupcake are eggless and yet super soft and moist. Besides all purpose flour I have used vanilla flavored custard powder to bake the cake. The custard powder not only helps making cupcake lighter but also gives a nice vanilla flavor to the cake. If you do not have custard powder you can add cornflour instead. I have used oil to make cake instead of butter. Oil keeps the cake soft and moist. Butter tends to harden once cooled and hence the cake becomes little harder once cooled. It is good to use buttermilk to make red velvet cake. I have curdled the milk with vinegar to make butter milk and have used to make the cupcake. The plain red velvet cupcake can be enjoyed with a warm cup of coffee or tea. You can freeze the cupcake for a month and use when needed. With the same recipe and ingredients I had made a layer of red velvet cake for my son’s 10th birthday celebration. He wanted a cricket theme cake with two layers – chocolate and red velvet. Pour the cake batter in a cake tin of the desired size and bake for around 40 minutes or more if needed.
Points to make smooth buttercream icing:
- Use good quality of unsalted butter. The butter should be at room temperature and mild soften. It should not be runny. (If your butter is softened more than keep it in fridge for ten minutes and use).
- First beat the butter with electric beater on low speed for 5 minutes till it is smooth, light and fluffy and becomes light in colour.
- Then gradually add the sifted icing sugar to it in batches and mix the sugar on low speed to avoid blowing all over the workplace.
- Once all the sugar is nicely mixed beat the mixture on medium speed for 2-4 minutes until soft peaks are formed.
- Now add vanilla essence and full cream milk or whip cream and beat the mixture for another 4-5 minutes. The butter cream will have nice bright colour and nice stiff peaks. At this stage you can add different colours to the icing and for making chocolate icing add cocoa powder and milk or cream and beat well.
- The butter cream icing is ready to use.
- You can make butter cream icing a day before and refrigerate. Let it come to room temperature and beat well again before using. However I prefer making butter cream fresh.
The amount of butter cream needed depends on the type of design to be piped on cupcake. Some designs need less buttercream and some needs more. So I prefer making a little extra butter cream to avoid to make it again when needed. If the butter cream icing is left, I use it to make different flavor cookies.
Friends the eggless red velvet cupcake was enjoyed by all of us. So please do try this recipe and share your feed back with me.
Till then khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Eggless Red Velvet Cupcake With Buttercream Icing
- measuring cup and measuring spoon
- 2 mixing bowl
- small bowl
- hand whisk
- electric beater
- piping bag
- cupcake baking tray
For Eggless Red Velvet Cupcake
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour maida
- 2 tbsp custard powder or cornflour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vinegar I have used apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp red liquid colour
- 1 cup milk lukewarm
- 3/4 cup sugar I have used raw sugar
- 1/2 cup oil any flavorless oil
- 12 oreo I have used red velvet oreo. I have cut 8 into halves and then crushed remaining oreo in grinder or put them in a ziplog bag and crush with a help of rolling pin.
For Buttercream Icing
- 3 cup icing sugar or confectioner's sugar. Sift the icing sugar to avoid any lumps
- 200 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp full cream milk` approximately, or whipping cream
For Eggless Red Velvet Cupcake
- Take lukewarm milk in a bowl and add vinegar to it. Keep it aside to curdle.
- Meanwhile sift 3-4 times the dry ingredients - all purpose flour, custard powder, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- The dry ingredients are ready. Keep them aside.
- The curdled milk is ready.
- In a big bowl add oil and sugar.
- Mix well till the sugar is dissolved with a hand whisk.
- Add the curdled milk and mix well.
- Add red colour and vanilla essence. Mix well. The wet ingredients are ready.
- Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients in batches to the wet ingredients.
- Gently mix all the dry ingredients and mix till the entire mixture is lump free.
- Line the cupcake tray with cupcake liner and with a help of spoon pour the batter in it. Fill 3/4 th of the cupcake liner. Tap the baking tray 2-3 times gently to remove any bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180°C for 20-25 minutes or till done. Insert a toothpick if it cleans out clean then the cupcake are ready or bake till done.
- Remove the cupcake in a wire rack and cool.
- The soft and moist eggless red velvet cupcake are ready. Let them cool and then do icing on it.
- Enjoy the spongy cupcake with a cup of tea or coffee.
For Buttercream Icing
- In a bowl take the soften butter. (The butter should just be soft and not melted other wise the icing will be runny).
- Beat the butter with the help of an electric beater on low speed for 2-4 minutes till it is light and fluffy. Add gradually sifted icing sugar in it in batches and mix with the beater on low speed. (Do not beat on high speed after adding sugar or else the sugar will blow everywhere ).
- Keep on adding the icing sugar in batches and mix on low speed.
- Once all the sugar in added and nicely mixed, beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Now add the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Now add full cream milk a tbsp at a time and beat on high speed till nice soft peaks are formed.
- The butter cream mixture has started to get soft peak. Beat for 4-5 minutes more.
- The buttercream will get nice bright white colour and nice stiff peaks. The butter cream icing is ready to use.
- Now put the piping bag with the nozzle of your choice in an tall glass and fill the piping bag with butter cream icing with the help of a spoon. Press down the butter cream in the piping bag and cut the bottom end of the piping bag with a scissor. Twist the top end tightly and start piping the desired design on the cupcake.
- The cupcake are ready with butter cream icing on it.
- Now sprinkle some crushed red velvet oreo on it. Decorate the cupcake with the half oreo as shown.
- The eggless red velvet cupcake with buttercream icing is ready.
- The eggless red velvet cupcake with buttercream icing are transferred in a cupcake holder and are ready to be taken to the school for Aarav's (my son's) 10th birthday celebration.
4 thoughts on “Eggless Red Velvet Cupcake With Buttercream Icing”
Halo Swapna, receipe is great. The display stand of your cupcakea is good, from.where we can get is it a display stand for parties.
Hi Vijaya. Thank you so much!!
The display stand is a cupcake order. I live in Sydney and we get it in any retail shops or shops selling cake products. You can also find on amazon online shopping. They are very good to hold cupcakes for birthday specially when giving in the schools or carrying them for potluck or picnic!!