Jowar Dhani No Chevdo / Jowar Dhani Ka Chivda / Sorghum Popcorn Mixture is a gluten free and vegan crunchy snack which is low in calorie and made by roasting sorghum popcorn (dhani) along with chana dal, peanuts, almonds , raisins. The chevdo /mixture can be enjoyed as a after noon snack with a cup of hot masala tea or coffee. It is popular snack made in Gujarat during festival of Holi and is enjoyed by adults and kids.
Jowar Dhani (sorghum popcorn) is popped from sorghum kernels. Unlike the big size popcorn that we get from corn kernels the jowar dhani is small in size and when I was young I use to call it “mini popcorn”. Jowar Dhani is available in India in mid March or start of April around the festival of Holi. It marks the arrival of Spring season in India. Jowar Dhani is offered along with dates, raw mango, coconut , patasha (sugar balls) to the Holi fire while circling around it.
In Bharuch, (Gujarat, India), the place from where I come,the dhani vendor would come with his cart loaded with hot sand, a big pan and sieve. He would pop the jowar dhani on the hot sand which is placed in the big pan and then he would sift the dhani through the sieve so that the sand will be filtered. The ladies of the society would gather and wait till the dhani is popped. It was so fun to see the dhani popping out from the hot sand. Along with dhani, the vendor would also roast the chickpeas ,peanuts, potato crackers, sago crackers. That would be the afternoon treat for the children.
I love to add peanuts, almonds, raisins , roasted chana dal to the dhani. However, you can skip adding them and roast dhani plain. Some people also add dates to the dhani chevdo. I sometimes also add puffed rice and roasted thin poha to the dhani chevdo. In place of papad you can also add the potato crakers, rice flour papad , or sago crackers as per your choice. When I make dhani with puff rice, peanuts, almonds, raisins, roasted chana dal, roasted thin poha, sev, I add some chole masala to this mixture and it gives a wonderful aroma and taste like a store brought mixture.
The most important step is to roast the jowar dhani on medium heat till it is crunchy. As the jowar dhani would be soft and not crunchy. So be patient and roast the dhani till crunchy.
So friends I hope you like the recipe of dhani chevdo. Do try the recipe and do share your feed back and any new variations with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Jowar Dhani No Chevdo / Jowar Dhani Ka Chivda / Sorghum Popcorn Mixture
- heavy bottom pan
- mixing bowl
- 100 g sorghum popcorn jowar dhani
- 4 tbsp oil I have used peanut oil
- 6 urad dal papad
- 1/4 cup peanut
- 1/4 cup roasted chana dal dalia
- 1/4 cup almond
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/4 tso asafoetida hing
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 tsp garlic paste I have used red garlic chutney. If you do not have garlic paste or chutney use garlic powder
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup sev fried gram flour noodles
- In a pan roast the jowar dhani /sorghum popcorn on medium heat for 7-8 minutes stirring till it is crunchy. Remove in a bowl and keep aside. Now in the same pan heat oil on high heat. Now break the urad dal papad into small pieces and fry them. Remove and keep them aside. (Or you can also roast the papad on open flame or in a microwave oven and use)
- Add the peanuts and roasted chana dal and roast them on low heat till golden and crispy. Remove in the bowl. Add almonds and roast them till golden. Add raisins and roast them for few seconds. (I have taken the pic of the chivda which I have made earlier and at time I have not added any almonds or raisins in it).
- Now when the peanuts, roasted chana dal, almonds and raisins are roasted well add curry leaves, green chili and garlic paste. Saute well.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the roasted dhani and mix well and roast on medium heat for 10 minutes till the dhani is nice crispy.
- Now switch off the heat and add powder sugar to the mixture. Mix well and remove in a bowl . Break the fried papad into small pieces and add to the mixture and mix everything well.
- Add the sev to the mixture and mix well. The jowar dhani no chevdo /jowar dhani ka chivda/ sorghurm popcorn mixture is ready . Let it cool and remove in a bowl and serve with a cup of hot masala tea or coffee. Store the remaining mixture in an airtight container and enjoy for 20-25 days.
1 thought on “Jowar Dhani No Chevdo / Jowar Dhani Ka Chivda / Sorghum Popcorn Mixture”
Very interesting snack!!