Falafel is a Middle Eastern Food, that has originated in Egypt. It is deep fried and is traditionally made with Fava beans or Chickpea. I have made it using chickpea. It is served with pita bread, tahini dip, tabouleh, fresh salad, pickled veg, and hummus. It is vegan and is protein rich.
It can be eaten alone as a snack. But traditionally as a part of Lebanese or Middle Eastern Cuisine, it is served as a part of a meze (an assortment of appetizers). It is a street food and is popular worldwide today. Since it is made from chickpea or fava beans it is a great source of proteins for vegetarians.
The trick of making crispy falafel is grinding the chickpea. The chickpea should be soaked properly. Drain the soaked chickpea and then dry them completely in the kitchen towel. Grind the chickpea to a coarse mixture. The chickpea is coarse and when eaten will give a nice grainy texture to the falafel. Heat the oil on high heat and then put the falafel and fry on low heat till golden and crispy.
Falafel can be shaped into a big ball. I have shaped them oval. Take two moist spoons. Place a small quantity of a mixture and shape with the help of another moistened spoon to make smooth oval falafel.
Falafel is very crispy and tastes best when deep fried. However, to make it healthier, you can bake them @ 180 for 20-25 minutes in the oven.
Enjoy the crispy falafel and please share your views with me.
- 1 cup chickpeas kabuli chana, wash and soaked for 8 hours
- 2 tbsp parsley washed and chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and chopped
- 5 spring onion washed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tbsp semolina sooji
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder roasted jeera powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak the Chickpeas for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain the soaked chickpea. Dry the soaked chickpea on the kitchen towel.
- In the mixer grinder or food processor, grind the dried and soaked chickpea.
- Add chopped parsley, onion, spring onion, coriander, garlic.
- Pulse them all together to a coarse mixture. Add soda bicarbonate, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, paprika, and salt.
- Add bread crumbs to it and pulse them well.
- Remove the mixture in the bowl and add semolina to it. Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate the mixture for a couple of hours.
- Now take two spoons. Moist them with water. Place small quantities of the mixture in a moistened spoon and shape with the help of another moistened spoon to make smooth oval falafels.
- Refrigerate the shaped falafels before frying. You can shape and store the falafel on the greased plate in a refrigerator prior to frying.
- Heat sufficient oil in the kadhai. Once the oil heated add the shaped falafel. Lower the heat and deep fry the falafel till golden.
- The falafel is deep-fried till golden, and crispy
- Remove the fried falafel on the absorbent paper and serve hot.
- Serve hot falafel with hummus.
4 thoughts on “Falafel”
Very tasty and mouthwatering recipe,my favourite .