I had never seen avocado until I came to Sydney. But now it has become my favorite fruit. I use it in salads, sandwiches, guacamole, parathas. I had made avocado cheese straw; they were crispy and tasty.
As avocado has high fat content the amount of additional butter or oil in dishes can be reduced and it will yield the same results. I love baking different variations of healthy cupcakes. This time I thought of using avocado for making eggless whole wheat cupcake. The flesh of the avocado generally turns to black when exposed to air. Hence sprinkle lemon juice over it to retain the nice green colour. The lemon juice when reacts with leavening agents helps in raising cakes and making them soft, spongy and fluffy.
I have used avocado and lemon juice. I added the lemon rind and when the cake was baking it released a very fresh aroma of lemon. The colour of avocado was also retained. The cupcakes had nice green colour. I have not used any artificial essence while making the cake. The lemon juice and lemon rind itself gives a nice aroma. As the avocado is buttery, less oil is used when making the cupcake. Addition of chocolate chips is optional. I have added it as children love it and can enjoy the cake more. You can add almond slices instead or some other nuts of your choice.
Do make these cupcakes and enjoy them warm with a cup of hot tea or coffee. Pack them in the lunch boxes or have them when you crave something sweet but healthy!
Eggless Whole Wheat Avocado Lemon Cupcake
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice juice of one lemon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon rind
- 1 big avocado riped
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
- Cut the big ripe avocado into half and remove the seed.Chop it roughly.
- In a mixer jar add the chopped avocado, sugar, oil, milk and blend it into a smooth paste.
- Remove the paste into a mixing bowl. Add the lemon zest into it. Add the lemon juice and keep it aside for five minutes.
- In the meantime, sift the dry ingredients - whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt three to four times.
- Now after five minutes mix the lemon avocado mixture.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients in batches and mix them well.
- Add two -three tbsp of choco chips and fold the mixture gently.
- Line the cupcake tin with the cupcake liners and spoon the batter into it. Sprinkle the remaining choco chips over them as shown.
- Tap the mould and bake the cupcakes in a preheated oven at 180 C for 25-30 minutes or till done. Insert a skewer and check. If it comes out clean the cupcakes are done.
- Cool them on a wire rack and serve warm or cold.