Lasaniya batata is a popular dish made in Kathiyawada (Saurashtra) region of Gujarat. It is hot and spicy. It is a treat for people who like spicy food. The hotness of the dish is due to to a large amount of fresh garlic added to it. Lasaniya means “with garlic” and batata means “potato”. It can be served with rice or roti. It can also be eaten as a side dish or “chat” with fried fryums or papad. Many places in Saurashtra serve this dish with fried long tubes known as “bhungada” and hence it is known as “Bhungada Batata”.
The level of spice can be adjusted as per your palate. If you like the dish to be more hot and spicy add more red chilies (around 6-7) while grinding the paste. I have made it a little less spicy and have used less red chilies. It is best to use Kashmiri red chili and Kashmiri red chili powder to get nice red color.
Baby potatoes are generally used to make the dish. However, you can use regular potatoes and cut them into 1 inch to get the same effect.
I always prefer to eat yogurt (dahi) or jeera buttermilk (chaas) along with the spicy food to soothe the stomach.
Lasaniya Batata/Lehsuni Aloo/Garlic Potatoes
Coating Potato in spices
garlic tomato paste
Coating potato in spices
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add 1 tsp chat masala, 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder.
- Mix well and saute.
- Add the boiled baby potatoes.
- Toss them well in the spices so that they coat on them evenly.
- Remove and keep aside in a bowl.
Making Tomato garlic paste and stir fry potatoes in it
- In a grinder, jar add chopped garlic, cumin seeds, and soaked kashmiri whole red chili.
- Add chopped tomatoes, coriander-cumin seed powder, salt, turmeric powder, chopped ginger and salt as per taste.
- Grind them into a smooth paste.
- In the same pan, heat 4 tbsp of oil. Add asafoetida powder in it.
- Add the chopped onions. Saute them till translucent.
- Now add red chili powder to it and mix well.
- Now add the prepared tomato garlic paste. Mix well.
- Saute the mixture for around 10 minutes till it becomes dry and oil starts leaving the edges.
- After around 10 minutes the mixture has become dry and start leaving oil.
- Add the coated potatoes to it. Mix well.
- Toss and mix well.
- Add water to it and simmer for 5 minutes or till the oil seperates.
- After 5 minutes the oil has seperated.
- The Lasaniya batata is ready to serve.
- Serve Lasaniya batata hot with rice, roti or some fryums.