Ravioli is a traditional Italian dish. A ravioli is a form of pasta where different kinds of ingredients can be filled between two pasta sheets and sealed. It is made in square, circle or semicircle shapes. It is cooked in boiling water and then served with tomato based sauce, white sauce or with butter and cheese. The filling in the ravioli can be vegetarian or meat based. The fillings can be made from pumpkin, ricotta, spinach, cheese, zucchini, potato, beef, bacon, pork and others.
The process of making ravioli with sauce involves following steps:
Making ravioli dough
Making the ravioli filling
Making the ravioli sauce
Rolling and shaping the ravioli
Cooking and assembling the ravioli
It is easy to find ready-to-eat ravioli in the supermarkets.
To prepare the ravioli dough, an egg is generally used, however, this recipe does not use an egg.
Making ravioli at home is very easy.
In Gujarat, we make “dal dhokli” which is similar to pasta. Here the big circle is rolled from the dhokli dough and the dhokli is then cut into squares or diamond shape. It is then put into boiling lentil broth and cook till they float on the surface. It is served hot with ghee, oil, or pickle.
I have made the ravioli dough similar to the one we make for dhokli. Since it is spinach ravioli I have kneaded the dough using the spinach puree. Since I wanted to make it healthy I have used whole wheat flour for making the dough. To get the firmness in the ravioli I have added semolina to the dough while kneading.
I have made this recipe many times at my house and all have loved it. So this time when I was making it I thought of putting the recipe on my blog.
Ricotta cheese is not easily available in many places. When I was in Bharuch, India, we did not get ricotta cheese. I used freshly grated paneer instead. Homemade fresh paneer gives a very similar texture like ricotta cheese. You can use mozzarella or processed cheese along with fresh herbs such as parsley or coriander.
The ravioli can be made extra and stored in the freezer for a month and can be enjoyed when needed.
My son loves to take them in his lunch box. I store them in the freezer in small containers and use as needed.
I have made tomato cream sauce to serve with the ravioli. It is very quick and easy to make.
Spinach Ricotta Ravioli In Tomato Cream Sauce
Spinach Ravioli Dough
Tomato Cream Sauce
Ricotta cheese Filling
- 1 tbsp olive oil or oil of your choice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes or more as per your choice
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- salt as per taste
- basil leaves for garnishing
- oregano for garnishing
- red chili flakes for garnishing
- 1 tbsp ricotta cheese filling for garnishing
Spinach Ravioli Dough
- In a mixing bowl add whole wheat flour, semolina, oil and salt.
- Add spinach puree to it . (for making spinach puree, wash thoroughly and blanch the spinach leaves for 2-3 minutes in boiling water alongwith salt and a pich or turmeric. Drain and add cold water on the spinach leaves. Leave aside to cool and then blend into smooth paste.)
- Knead into a smooth dough and keep aside covered.
Tomato Cream Sauce
- Criss Cross the tomatoes from bottom and put them in boiling water for 5 minutes or till the skin becomes loose.
- Remove from water and let it cool.
- Remove the skin.
- Puree it in the blender.
- In a pan, heat oil and add chopped garlic to it. Saute it well.
- Now add the chopped onions or pureed onions. Cook till the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato puree and boil and cook till the sauce thickens.
- The sauce is thickened and moisture evaporated.
- Add sugar, salt, tomato puree (or tomato Ketchup- Avoid sugar), oregano and water and let the mixture boil.
- Now add cream and mix well. The tomato cream sauce is ready.
- Keep the prepared sauce aside and use as needed.
Ricotta Cheese filling
- In a bowl add ricotta cheese (or fresh grated paneer), grated mozarella cheese.
- Add parsley, salt and black pepper powder.
- Mix well. The filling is ready.
- Smoothen the kneaded ravioli dough. Make equal balls from it. Flatten it and dust it with flour.
- Roll it into a big thin circle. Cut it into small rounds with a round cutter.
- Take out the cirlces. Fill a tsp of filling into half of the circles.
- Apply water on the edges. Cover them with the other circles. Press and seal the edges by pressing fork.
- The ravioilis are ready.
- Boil the water in a big pot. Add salt and oil into it.
- Now put prepared ravioli one by one and let them boil for 6-7 minutes.
- When they are cooked they will float on the surface.
- Remove with a slotted spoon in a dish.
Assembling the ravioli
- In a pan heat oil and the prepared sauce.
- Add oregano and chili flakes to it.
- Add cream and mix well.
- Plate it in a serving dish. Put three ravioli over it. Pour a tbsp of sauce over each ravioli. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, the prepared ricotta cheese filling, oregano and chili flakes.
- The spinach and ricotta ravioli in tomato cream sauce is ready to serve. Enjoy it hot.