Seviyan or vermicelli are noodles made from wheat. They are a kind of pasta similar to spaghetti and are used in many Indian dishes both savory and sweet. They are egg free and are very quick to cook.
Since they are like noodles, they are kids’ favorite. Savory dishes such as upma, pulao, cutlets can be made with this vermicelli by adding some vegetables and spices to it. Sweet dishes such as sweet seviyan, kheer, payasam, pudding, can be made.
Meethi seviyan/sweet vermicelli is enjoyed during festivals such as Holi, Diwali, Navratri, Eid.
Meethi Seviyan/sweet vermicelli is a very quick and easy recipe and can be prepared in 25 minutes. It is easy to cook when you suddenly have unexpected guests at home for lunch or dinner. It gives a good amount of energy and hence is good for the children to have after their sports activity. It is also a good after-school snack.
For the festival or some special occasion, it can be cooked in advance and stored. Warm it before serving.
This time I have prepared this seviyan for the festival of Holi. I like to cook it in milk, however, you can cook it with water. Meethi seviyan cooked in milk gets a grainy texture. I enjoy eating it this way. Besides spices such as cardamom and nutmeg, I have added a pinch of cinnamon powder. Cinnamon goes well with the sweet dishes. I thought of adding it to the seviyan since it enhanced the taste, flavor, and aroma of the dish.
My son does not like to have nuts in seviyan and so I have used them in powdered form. The powdered nuts made the seviyan more tasty. I have added chopped nuts on top while serving as it gives a nice crunch while having the soft vermicelli. You can roast nuts in ghee for a more richer taste.
At first, My son hesitated to taste it but I requested him to try one spoon. Believe me, he ended finishing one bowl and told me to keep some aside for later. I was so happy for him.
So what are you waiting for?… just make this quick seviyan and enjoy!!
Meethi Seviyan /Sweet Vermicelli
- 2 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1 cup wheat vermicelli seviyan , broken into small pieces
- 2.5 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar I have used raw sugar. Adjust the quantity as per sweetness needed
- 1/2 tsp cardamon powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsp powdered nuts almond, cashew nut, pistachio
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts almond, cashew nut, pistachio
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder a pinch
- Heat a pan with ghee.
- In other pot, put milk to heat.
- After the ghee is melted add the crushed seviyan (wheat vermicelli).
- Roast it on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes the seviyan are roasted and turns golden brown and aromatic.
- The milk will be heated by this time. Add the hot milk to the roasted seviyan. Stir quickly.
- Cook on medium heat stirring in between. The seviyan will absorb the milk.
- After 7-8 minutes add sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg and strands of saffron. Mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook the seviyan on medium heat till the milk is absorbed and seviyan are cooked. It will take around 4-5 minutes.
- Add powdered nuts and pinch of cinnamon powder. Mix well and cook for other 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- The meethi seviyan/Sweet vermicelli are ready.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and serve hot.
- The meethi seviyan/sweet vermicelli are ready to serve.