A healthy paratha (flatbread) made from binding spinach puree with whole wheat flour.
Spinach is a green leafy vegetable. It is full of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals and has an extremely high nutritional value. It is a good source of vitamins A, B2, C, and K, and also contains magnesium, manganese, folate, iron, calcium and potassium. It is low in fat.
I like the natural green color of the parathas. These are made frequently at my place.
Just take care while blanching the spinach. I like to put a pinch of turmeric and salt in the boiling water while blanching the spinach. Turmeric has the antiseptic property and is good when blanching the green leafy vegetables.
They can be enjoyed during breakfast with a cup of tea; or during lunch or dinner with any curry or soup. I also pack them for my son’s lunch box. Spread Jam, Nutella or cheese spread. They can be a good base for any wrap. I make palak aloo paneer wraps using them. I will post the recipe of the same soon. I have also posted the recipe for stuffed palak paneer paratha.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour If required then add 1/2 cup more flour.
- 500 g spinach clean and washed. when blanched and pureed will yield approx 1 cup of puree
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic and chilli paste
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 5 tbsp oil use 1 tbsp while smoothening the dough
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 l water for blanching spinach
- oil for roasting the parathas
- whole wheat flour for dusting the parathas
- salt as per taste
- cold water for putting on blanched spinach
- In a pot, boil the water. Add turmeric and salt to it.
- Now add the cleaned and washed spinach. Boil it for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the spinach and run cold water over it. keep it aside to cool. Grind it into smooth paste in the grinder. It will give around 1 cup of puree.
- In a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, oil, ginger garlic and chili paste, sesame seeds, spinach puree. Mix them well.
- Knead into a smooth dough. Smoothen it with oil.Do not add extra water. Keep it covered aside for 20 minutes
- Now make balls from the dough. Flatten it and dust it with flour.
- Roll it into a circle of 2mm thickness.
- Roast it on a heated flat pan on medium heat.
- Flip it. Spread half tbsp oil on it.
- Flip it on other side and roast it till golden spots appear. Paratha is done. Similarly make other parathas.
- Parathas are ready to serve hot or cold.