My mother in law is at our place for vacation and we are all enjoying her traditional recipes. She is a good cook and enjoys cooking for her family and friends. She likes to make various kinds of dishes. Since we are all busy with the fast moving life, we do not have much time to spend on the traditional dishes which used to be cooked by our grandparents. We are thus happy to relish the old traditional cooking.
We went to the supermarket for our grocery shopping and I found the pumpkin on the shelf over there. I was tempted to eat the puddla made by my mother in law, So I asked her that if she can make it for us. She was happy to serve us her special traditional dish.
This puddla is very easy to make and is made from simple ingredients. It does not have extra spices and is yet full of flavor. The sweet taste of the pumpkin is thus prominent. It is balanced with ginger and green chilli. It is very healthy as it does not have any fermentation or it does not use any leavening agent such as baking soda or baking powder.
Do try this very simple yet full of flavor recipe and enjoy it with your dear ones . Since the pumpkin is in the hidden form it is a very good option for the kids who do not want to eat pumpkin.
Kodhu Pudla (Pumpkin Crepe)
- 400 g pumpkin
- 2.5 cup Handvo Flour (I have used the store brought flour- It is flour made with rice, tuvar dal (pigeon pea), chana dal (split yellow gram), Urad dal ( split black gram))
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp jaggery crumbled or grated
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp green chili paste or as per taste.
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- salt to taste
- water to make the batter
- oil for cooking
- Wash, peel and chop the pumpkin.
- Grate the pumpkin.
- In a mixing bowl add the grated pumpkin, oil, ginger paste, green chili paste, jaggery and salt.
- Mix them well with the hands. Keep aside for 5 minutes. The water will be released from the mixture.
- Now add the handvo flour and mix it well.
- Now add little by little water and make the batter. Cover and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Now grease and iron, aluminium or anodised tava (flat pan) with oil. Do not use a non stick pan. Pour a laddle ful of batter on tava and then wih the help of flat spatula spread it thin into circle.
- Cook the crepe on both sides till golden by applying oil.
- Remove in a plate and cut it into quarter pieces.
- Serve it hot with coriander chutney and ketchup.