Paneer Tikka Pizza – As the name suggests, it is an Indian style pizza. It is a fusion pizza made with pizza sauce which has Indian spices such as tandoori masala or garam masala. It is topped with cubed paneer, onions, capsicum and tomato cooked in yogurt with spices such as red chili powder, tandoori masala and ginger-garlic paste. Fusion food is a term used when a recipe is prepared by combining two or more different cuisines. This dish is prepared with a combination of Italian and Indian recipes. Pizza is an Italian dish and Paneer Tikka is an Indian dish. Pizza is generally topped with pizza sauce and vegetables, chicken, meat or seafood. To Indianize the pizza, it can be topped with the popular dish paneer tikka along with some more vegetables, olives, and spices.
This pizza is very popular and is available in various pizza joints all over India. Even the global pizza selling chains such as Dominos and Pizza Hut in India have it on their menu.
I have made the pizza sauce using tomatoes, onions and red bell pepper. Red bell pepper or red capsicum gives a nice barbeque taste to the sauce. To make it go with Indian paneer topping, I have added tandoori masala or garam masala instead of Italian herbs. You can also add crushed kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) to the sauce.
For the pizza topping, I have sauteed paneer along with onion, tomato, green capsicum, ginger garlic paste, hung curd and the masalas.
The pizza is then assembled by spreading sauce over pizza base. It is topped with the prepared pizza topping, black olives. tandoori masala and shredded mozzarella cheese. The pizza is baked and served hot. You can sprinkle Italian herbs, tandoori masala, kasuri methi powder, chat masala or chili flakes while serving the pizza.
The pizza is a delicious and a yummy treat!
Have a pizza night with your friends and family and treat them this fusion paneer tikka pizza!!
Paneer Tikka Pizza
- 1/2 red capsicum diced into cubes
- 1/2 green capsicum diced into cubes
- 1 small tomato deseeded and diced into cubes
- 100 g paneer cottage cheese, diced into cubes
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp tandoori masala
- 1 tsp red chili sauce
- 1 tbsp thick curd or hung curd if possible
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in the pan. Add chopped onions and garlic and saute it for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped red bell pepper. Adding the red bell pepper gives nice red colour and taste to the sauce.
- Saute till the onions becomes translucent and red bell pepper soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add salt and tandoori masala, salt and sugar.
- Mix them well and saute for 2 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- In a grinder jar add the cooled mixuture and grind to smooth paste.
- Remove paste in the bowl. The pizza sauce is ready.
- In a pan heat oil. Add chopped onions. Saute.
- Add chopped green capsicum and saute for some time.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the paneer cubes.
- Now add the chili powder, tandoori masala, red chili sauce and salt as per taste.
- Add the thick curd (hung curd) and mix well.
- Saute till the water of the curd burns off.
- The paneer tikka stuffing is ready.
Assembling and baking Pizza
- Take the pizza base. I have used a big wholemeal pizza base. Spread the prepared pizza sauce over it. (around 3-4 tbsp)
- Place the prepared paneer tikka toppings. Put some black sliced olives over it.
- Put shredded mozarella cheese over it.
- Bake at 220 C for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into pieces and serve hot. I have sprinkled some feta cheese while serving. If you do not have feta cheese you can sprinkle some grated or crumbled paneer over it. This is optional. You can also sprinkle some tandoori masala and chili flaked over it.