Quesadilla is a Mexican Street food where the tortilla (Corn tortilla or flour tortilla) is filled with either vegetable, meat, chicken, refried beans or kidney beans along with cheese. It is covered with another tortilla. It is then grilled on a flat pan with oil or butter till golden and crisp. It is served with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream. Besides giving yummy taste to the quesadilla, cheese also helps in binding the two tortillas together.
Tortillas are a type of flatbread made from corn flour or refined flour or whole wheat flour. They are like the Indian rotis. They accompany different dishes.
I have made this tortilla, filling, salsa, and guacamole at home. It is very easy and quick. I have shown you the step by step method of preparing each. The level of spice and taste can be adjusted as per your choice.
I have made a whole wheat tortilla. We make rotis and parathas at home regularly – the same dough is used to make the tortilla. It is very crispy when we eat it hot, straight from the pan. I have not used any refined flour while making it. You can use the refined flour in half proportion as per your choice.
Mexican food is colorful, rich and balanced in flavors and spice. It is very festive and can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
Whole Wheat Quesadilla With Kidney Beans
Whole Wheat Tortilla
Kidney bean filling
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum finely chopped
- 1 small greeen capsicum finely chopped
- 1 small tomato deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder or any chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red chilli sauce and tomato ketcup If you have you can add few drops of tobassco sauce
- salt as per taste
Whole Wheat Totilla
- In a mixing bowl add whole wheat flour, oil and salt. Now mix them well and then knead into a smooth dough by adding water as required. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Make balls of the dough. Now take one ball. Flatten it and dust it with flour.
- Roll into a thin big circle of around 12 cm diameter.
- Heat a flat pan and place the prepared circle over it.
- Flip it and cook it till light spots appear on both the sides.
- Remove in a plate and similarly make other tortillas.
- The tortillas are ready. Cover them with a cloth and use them when making the quesadilla.
Kidney Bean Filling
- Cook Kidney beans with salt and drain them.
- Mash the kidney beans with the help of potato masher.
- Add finely chopped green capsicum, red capsicum, onions, black pepper powder, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add the chopped coriander.
- Mix them all. The Kidney bean filling is ready. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl add finely chopped red capsicum, green capsicum, onion and deseeded and chopped tomato and coriander.
- Add all the seasonings- roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, black pepper powder, salt, lemon juice, mixture of red chili sauce and tomato ketchup. (If you have tobassco sauce add few drops of it).
- Mix them well. The salsa is ready. Keep it aside.
- Cut the ripe avocado into two halves. Remove the seed. Remove the flesh of avocado.
- Mash avocado flesh with a fork or potato masher. Add black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, salt and lemon juice. Mix it well. The guacamole is ready to serve.
Assembling, making and serving quesadilla
- Put together the prepared kidney bean filling, salsa, guacamole, tortilla and sour cream at one place.
- Take two tortillas. Place the half cooked sides outside. Place two tbsp of kidney bean filling on it and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with the other tortilla. Place the cooked side inside and the half cooked side outside.
- Place the prepare quesadilla on the heated pan and on both sides flipping in between.
- Roast them with 1 tsp of oil of each side till golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from heat and cut into four parts. Similarly prepare the other quesadilla.
- Serve them hot with guacamole, sour cream and salsa.