Schezwan Sauce is a spicy sauce made with dried red chilies, lots of garlic, onions. It is an essential sauce/dip served with Indo-Chinese snacks such as spring rolls, manchurian, chinese samosa. It can be made and refrigerated for a month if there is sufficient oil covering the surface. It can be enjoyed with fried rice, noodles, stir fried vegetables, Sizzlers, veg lollipops, tofu or paneer, or even simply with a slice of bread or parathas. It can be used for making Schezwan fried rice or Schezwan noodles. It is gluten free and vegan.
I have used the schezwan sauce in Paneer Steak Schezwan sizzler
- 8 dry red chillies I have used kashmiri red chilies. It gives nice red colour to the sauce.If you want the sauce to be more spicy use around 12-15 red chili
- 0.5 cup oil
- 10 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 3 inches celery stalk with leaves finely chopped or use 1/2 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- salt as per taste
- 1 cup water
- In a pan boil 7-8 red chilies in boiling water for 5 minutes or till they soften.
- Drain the chilies and let them cool.
- Grind the red chilies into smooth paste in a mixer grinder.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped garlic, green chilies, spring onions and grated ginger.
- Saute for a minute or till they get translucent.
- Add the prepared red chili paste.
- Mix and saute for a minute.
- Add finely chopped celery stalk and leaves and mix well. Cook for few seconds. If you do not have celery then use 1/2 tbsp of dried mixed herbs.
- Add tomato ketchup and salt and mix well.
- Add in vinegar, mix well and simmer till the oil rises to the surface. The schezwan sauce is ready. Cool and store.
- The schezwan sauce is ready and will keep for 1 month if there is sufficient oil covering the surface. Keep refrigerated.