Green Moong Dal Palak Paneer Uttapam/Savory Moong Pancake With Spinach and Paneer is a savory pancake made with green moong dal, spinach, paneer along with spices. It is fibre rich and has iron from spinach and calcium from paneer. It can be served as breakfast , lunch or a complete meal for a quick weeknight dinner.
I like the paneer to be in big cubes, however you can either grate the paneer or cut into very small pieces. To make it vegan, replace paneer with tofu or potato or skip paneer. To make it gluten free, skip adding asafoetida (hing). I have seasoned the uttapam/pancake with salt and pepper. You can have variation by seasoning with sambhar masala, chat masala, red chili powder or mixed herbs.
Green Moong Dal Palak Paneer Uttapam/Savory Moong Pancake With Spinach and Paneer
- 3/4 cup split moong dal with skin chilkawali moong dal
- 1/4 cup split black gram without skin urad dal
- 1/4 cup split chickpea chana dal
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 3 green chili or as per spice level needed
- 1 cup spinach washed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing. (to make it gluten free skip hing)
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 cup spinach washed and chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 onion washed and chopped finely
- 1 medium green capsicum washed and chopped finely
- 1 small red capsicum washed and chopped finely
- 100 g paneer chopped into small cubes
- oil for roasting
- salt to taste
- In a bowl take moong dal (split moong dal with skin), urad dal (split black gram without skin), chana dal (split chick pea) and brown rice. Mix them well. Wash them 2-3 times and water and then soak them in water for 4-5 hours. Add methi seeds to it while soaking.
- After 4-5 hours the mixed dal is soaked well. Drain it. In a mixer grinder, grind the dal mixture along with spinach, ginger, garlic, and green chillies . Grind the mixture to a coarse paste. The batter is ready.
- Now add cumin seeds, pepper powder, asafoetida and salt to the ground batter. Mix well.
- Add the chopped spinach leaves to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a non stick flat pan. Take a laddleful of batter and pour on a heated pan. Put chopped paneer, onions, red capsicum, green capsicum on it. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil to the edges.
- Cover the uttapam/pancake with a lid and cook for 5 min on medium heat.
- Flip the uttapam/pancake and cook on the other side for 3 minutes or until the paneer and veggies are cooked. Cook this uncovered.
- Flip and cook the bottom side for 2 more minutes to make it crispy. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the paneer and veggies.
- The uttapam or savory pancake is ready to serve. Serve it hot with the chutney or ketchup.