Simple Moong Dal is an easy , quick to make Indian dal made with split yellow moong beans. It is made with the tempering made with ghee, garlic, green chili and curry leaves. Served with rice or roti simple moong dal is a comforting weeknight food and is easy to digest. It can be either made direclty in a pot or can be made using pressure cooker. Skip ghee and add oil to make it vegan and skip asafoetida to make it glutenfree.
I have served the simple moong dal with bharela ringan batata nu shaak, bhindi aloo, bajri rotla, boiled beetroot. You can serve moong dal either with bhakri , roti or plain rice for simple meal.
Friends do try this quick and easy recipe and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dile aur banao dilse…
Simple Moong Dal
- pressure cooker
- laddle spoon
- 100 g moong dal yellow without skin, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 7 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 green chili chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 3 cup water or more to adjust the consistency of the dal
- 1 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- salt as per taste
- Wash and soak the moong dal for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let they crackle.
- Add chopped garlic, chopped green chili, curry leaves and asafoetida. Saute them for a minute till aromatic and garlic turns golden.
- Add turmeric and mix well.
- Add the soaked moong dal along with the water.
- Add 2.5 cups of water and add salt and mix well.
- Bring the dal mixture to boil. Now cover with the pressure cooker lid with whistle and pressure cook the dal for 3-4 whistles on high heat and 2 whistles on low heat.
- Let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Remove the whistle and open the lid of pressure cooker. The dal is cooked and ready.
- Now with the help of laddle spoon mix the dal well. Add the remaining half cup of water and mix well. Add more water if needed to adjust the consistency of the dal.
- Add lemon juice and mix well. The simple moong dal is ready to serve.
- Remove the hot dal in serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves and a dollop of ghee.
- Serve dal with roti, rice, rotla, bhakri and vegetable and salad. I have served the dal with bhindi aloo, bharela ringan batata nu shaak, bajri rotla, beet root.