Bharela Ringan Batata Nu Shaak / Stuffed Eggplant Potato Curry is a traditional Gujarati main dish recipe made by stuffing baby eggplant and baby potato with a stuffing made with peanut, coconut, basic Indian spices, coriander. It is very delicious, easy to make and vegan. Skip asafoetida to make it gluten free. It is served with roti/ bhakri/rotla. For a complete meal enjoy it with roti, dal, rice and salad.
My mother in law (Geeta Shah) is here with us in Sydney and so she treats us with all her traditional recipes. I had got this small baby brinjals when I went for the grocery shopping. I love the bharela ringan batata nu shaak prepared by my mother in law. So I requested her to make this recipe for us and I also wanted to put this traditional recipe on my blog. Every one in our house is fond of this curry. I like the rasa (gravy with oil) which floats on the top of the curry. The dish looks so tempting and irresistible.
Always use fresh small baby brinjals and baby potato to make the recipe. They are sweet and juicy in taste. I have shared with you the technique of slitting the brinjals and potato from both the ends and how to fill the stuffing in them in the recipe card below. I did not had the baby potato and hence have used one big potato. We generally chop the big potato into cubes and cook. But if you need to stuff it with the prepared masala then I have shown you how to cut the big potato and fill it with the prepared stuffing in the recipe card below. If you are in hurry you can cook the recipe by chopping the brinjal and potato and cook it directly with the masala instead of stuffing them. This recipe uses a little extra oil as compared to the daily cooking.
I have served the bharela ringan batata nu shaak with simple moong dal , bhindi aloo, bajri rotla, boiled beetroot. You can serve the bharela ringan batata nu shaak either with bhakri , roti or rotla for a simple meal.
Friends please do try this irresistible curry and please share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Bharela Ringan Batata Nu Shaak / Stuffed Eggplant Potato Curry
- pressure cooker
- In a plate or bowl add peanut powder, desiccated coconut, chopped coriander, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, asafoetida, sugar and salt
- Mix well and add oil.
- Mix well. The stuffing is ready. Keep it aside.
stuff and cook eggplant and potato
- Wash and dry the small eggplants.
- Slit 3/4th vertically the eggplant from top as shown.
- Now flip the eggplant upside down and slit criss cross 3/4th of the eggplant as shown from the other end.
- The eggplant will look like this after it has been slit from both the sides as shown.
- Now carefully fill the prepared stuffing on one end of the eggplant as shown.
- Now similarly fill the other end of the slit eggplant as shown.
- The eggplant with stuffing filled on both the ends.
- Similarly cut the potato. (It is good to use the small baby potato and peel , slit and fill the stuffing as filled in eggplant). I did not had baby potato and hence have used a big potato and cut them into big cubes and cook direclty with the eggplant or cut the potato into big chunks and slit them and fill the stuffing as shown.
- Slit the big chunk of potato and fill the stuffing carefully.
- These way the eggplant and potato are stuffed and ready to cook.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and asafoetida.
- Add the stuffed eggplant and potato.
- Similarly add the remaining eggplant and potato one by one. Sprinkle the remaining stuffing over it.
- Mix it very gently with a flat spatula.
- Add water and bring it to boil.
- Cover the pressure cooker with the lid and put the whistle on it. Pressure cook for 4 whistles and the let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Once the pressure cooker is cooled, remove the whistle and open the lid. The bharela ringan batata nu shaak is ready to serve.
- Remove gently the eggplant and potato in a serving bowl. Add the curry (rasa)on it. Sprinkle chopped coriander and serve the bharela ringan batata nu shaak with roti / bhakri/rotlo.
- Serve the bharela ringan batata nu shaak with roti, rice, rotla, bhakri and dal or kadhi and salad. I have served the curry with bhindi aloo, simple moong dal, bajri rotla, beet root.