Vegetables Vermicelli Upma also known as Seviyaan Upma is a popular South Indian Breakfast made with noodles made with wheat, semolina or rice. It is a very quick, easy, delicious recipe and is light on stomach. It can be cooked with or without vegetables. It is also a very healthy option for breakfast, lunch, lunch box. It tastes good even when cold. It can be served with coconut chutney/ curd/ tea or coffee.
Vegetables Vermicelli Upma
- 1 cup Vermicelli Seviyaan
- 3 cup water !/2 up for boiling vegetables
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 tsp urad dal Black split gram
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1/4 green capsicum chopped finely
- 1/4 red capsicum chopped finely
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped finely
- 1/4 cup peas
- 2 tsp ghee clarified butter
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves washed and finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds. When they crackle add green chilies, dry red chili, curry leaves and asfoetida. Saute.
- Add grated ginger and chopped onions. Saute till onions are translucent.
- Add chopped vegetables and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook the vegetables on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add half cup of water and peas and cover and cook till all vegetables are cooked. (it is a good idea to cook vegetables with little water so that they do not stick to the bottom of pan).
- Add the vermicelli/seviyaan.
- Mix well. Add turmeric powder.
- Roast the vermicelli till golden.
- Add water and remaining salt and cover and cook the vermicelli till the water is fully absorbed on medium heat. Stir in between.
- Add lemon juice and coriander and mix well.
- Add ghee and mix well. The vegetables vermicelli upma is ready to serve.
- For serving, grease a bowl with ghee. Put vermicelli upma in it and press gently. Put plate on it and flip gently. The upma will be unmolded. Garnish with coriander and serve. Serve with coconut chutney/curd/tea or coffee.