Avocado, also known as alligator pear is a large pear shaped fruit having a single seed. They are mostly cultivated in the Mediterranean or tropical climates throughout the world. They are green skinned and have a pear shape. The fruit has a higher fat content than the other fruits. It is fleshy and has a buttery texture. It is loaded with mono saturated fatty acids which is good for a healthy heart. Besides avocados are rich in potassium, fibre, antioxidants and many vitamins like B,K, C and E. It is good in taste and goes well with many dishes. It is thus used in both sweet and savoury dishes. Avocado is popular in vegetarian cuisine as a substitute for meats in sandwiches and salads because of its high fat content.
The flesh of the avocado generally turns to blacken when exposed to air. Hence sprinkle lemon juice over it to retain the nice green colour.
Guacamole is the dish that comes in our mind when we think of avocados. It is used in many dishes like sandwiches, milkshakes, smoothies, soup, salads, ice cream or cakes.
As it has high fat content the amount of additional butter or oil in dishes can be reduced and it will yield the same results.
I thus thought of making a healthy version of Cheese Straws by using Avocado and whole wheat flour.
The straws came out really good and I was happy as I had to use less butter. I tried making this with whole wheat flour. They were perfectly baked and were crispy to eat.
Do try this recipe to enjoy the goodness of avocados.
Whole Wheat Avocado Cheese Straw
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1 cup avocado ripe. one big avocado. It should be riped. To check whether the avocado is riped, just press gently the avocado if it is pressed then it is ripen or just wrap the fruit in the newspaper and keep it for a couple of days to ripe.
- 50 gms butter 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp cheese use cheddar cheese if possible
- 1 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt be careful as the butter and cheese will also have salt in it.
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional) . you can also use onion powder
- Take a ripe avocado.
- Cut it horizontally with a sharp knife carefully. Scoop out the flesh from it and discard the seed and skin.
- In a bowl take avocado, butter and cheese and lemon juice.
- Beat them with the electric beater till light, fluffy and creamy.
- Add flour, semolina , soda and all the dry ingredients.
- Mix with the beater till you get crumbs like texture of the flour.
- Add curd and with the hands knead into a stiff dough. (if require you can add 1/2 to 1 tbsp of water to knead dough if you dont get the binding)
- Let it rest for 15 min. Then knead again to smooth.
- Now take a ball , flatten it and roll it on the butter paper of 4mm thickness.
- Cut the edges with knife or pizza cutter and make a square.
- Cut lenghtwise and prick it with fork as shown.
- Arrange them on the baking sheet lined with a butter paper.
- Bake at 180 deg celcius for 20 min or till golden brown.