It is a popular gujarati cuisine recipe and is mostly made during the community lunch or dinner gathering ( nath nu jamanwar) or during marriages. It goes well with puri or thepla or dhebras. It is an easy-to-make recipe and hence people also make it for their journeys.
As the name says it is made from potatoes (batata). The potatoes are boiled and cut in pieces and then are tempered with mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. The curry leaves enhances the flavor of the dish. To give it extra richness some cashews and raisins are added.
The dish has the nice bright yellow colour. I really love the colour.It is made with minimum of masalas and yet is full of flavors. Many people eat it when they are fasting.
Batata Ni Sukhi Bhaji (Indian Style Stir Fried Boiled Potatoes)
- 5 medium pototoes Boiled and chopped cubes. Mash two potatoes.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 1 dry red chilli
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 15 gm cashew nuts chopped (around 10-12)
- 20 raisins
- 15 curry leaves
- 1 lemon juice (small)
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- Get ready all the ingredients.
- Heat oil in the pan. Add the mustard seeds, cummin seeds, sesame seeds. When they crackle add the asafoetida, dry red chilli, ginger, green chilli and curry leaves.
- Add the cashewnuts and raisins and roast them till golden brown.
- Add the turmeric.
- Add the mashed potatoes first. Mix them well. Add the sugar, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the remaining chopped potatoes. Mix well and stir for a minute and serve.
- Serve it .