Since I am trying to avoid deep frying, I am making different snacks by baking. I am thankful for this wonderful kitchen gadget – ” oven”, to help me out in baking. I had earlier shared different recipes for making baked puris/ cracker. I had tried out different recipes for making baked chaklis. Some recipe had used less oil while other used curd for making it but the chaklis were a little hard and did not come out crispy. I have shared with you the recipe for making chakli using fresh cream or homemade malai. I had deep fried them. So now with the same ingredients, I have tried making baked chakli. The procedure remains the same except that instead of deep frying the chaklis I have baked them. The chaklis came out very well. They were crispy and had the same taste. My son loved it and was very happy to enjoy his favorite snack.
So friends enjoy baking the chakli for your loved ones and please share your feedback with me.
- 2 cup rice flour
- 7 tbsp fresh cream or homemade malai
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder jeera powder, roasted
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- salt as per taste
- water for kneading
- 1 tsp oil for brushing
- In a mixing bowl, add cream, oil, turmeric powder, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, sesame seeds, asafoetida.
- Mix them all together and then add rice flour and salt.
- Mix well with fingertips till crumb like mixture is formed.
- Knead into a smooth dough with light hands by gradually adding water to it.
- The dough should be soft, smooth and moist. I have covered and kept aside for 20 minutes. cover with a damp cloth.
- Grease nicely the chakli machine and put the star shape blade into it. I have the normal original machine. U can use other types u have.
- Now make two balls from the kneaded dough. Roll into a log shape and then put it into the chakli pressing machine.
- Close the machine.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Take the chakli press machine and start making chakli from center and press into a spiral shape in 3-4 rounds and then cut them and join the last round as shown in the picture. These will come out properly with practice. Brush them with oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven @ 180 C for 20-25 minutes or till golden. (The chakli got vanished before taking pictures. The next batch is still in the baking process).
- Let the chakli cool down. The chaklis are ready to serve. You can store them in the airtight container for 15 days and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
- The chaklis are looking so crisp.