Dhana Lahsan Jowar Rotla / Coriander Garlic Sorghum Flat Bread is a unleavened flatbread made with sorghum flour and a paste made with coriander, garlic and green chili. It is served hot with baigan bharta or curry. It can also be enjoyed with pickle or yogurt or jaggery and ghee or gujarati kadhi or dal. It is thicker than the regular thin roti/chapati.
I prefer adding a little amount of wheat flour while kneading the dough to make the rotis soft. However if you want to make gluten free roti then skip adding wheat flour to it. Addition of curd to the dough gives sourness and softness to the roti. To make it vegan, skip adding curd to the dough and add more water instead. Knead a semi soft dough to make soft roti.
The rotis taste soft and nice when served hot. However you can make the roti and then wrap it in the cloth and just while serving warm it in microwave with the cloth for 15-20 seconds and serve with the curry of your choice.
So friends do try this trational and tasty recipe for your family and friends and please share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
I have served the dhana lahsan jowar rotla/ coriander garlic sorghum flat bread with baigan bharta, salad, simple moong dal and jaggery as a complete meal.
I have shared with you the recipe of baigan bharta / ringan nu bhartu/ audo/ vangi cha bharit / roasted egglplant stir fry.
Dhana Lahsan Jowar Rotla / Coriander Garlic Sorghum Flat Bread
- mixing bowl
- mixer grinder
- rolling pin
- flat pan
Coriander Garlic paste
- 2 cup coriander washed and roughly chopped
- 4 clove garlic
- 1 green chili
Sorghum wheat dough
- 1.5 cup sorghum flour jowar flour
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 cup yogurt curd
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- water around 1/4 -1/2 cup if necessary
- 18 tsp ghee clarified butter
- wheat flour to dust the dough
- In a mixer grinder add coriander, garlic and green chili.
- Grind into a smooth paste.
- In a mixing bowl add sorghum flour, wheat flour , oil and salt.
- Add the ground coriander garlic paste.
- Mix the paste well with finger tips.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Mix well.
- Add water and knead into a semi smooth dough.
- The dough is kneaded. Rest for five minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal portion . Take one portion and roll into a ball. Flatten the ball and dust it with wheat flour. With the help of a rolling pin roll into a 6 cm circle with 4 mm thickness.
- Put the rolled rolta on the heated pan. Apply water on the top side of the rotla on the pan. The bubbles will start to form.
- Flip the rotla and let it cook on other side for a minute.
- Now put the rotla on the open flame and let it puff and cook flipping in between with a help of thong.
- The rotla has puffed well and is cooked.
- Remove the rotla on the plate and apply ghee on it.
- Similarly make other rotla.
- Serve the rotla hot with baigan bharta or any curry of your choice. The rotla can also be enjoyed with jaggery and ghee, or chutney or yogurt or gujarati kadhi or simple moong dal.
6 thoughts on “Dhana Lahsan Jowar Rotla / Coriander Garlic Sorghum Flat Bread”
Very nice recipe.
Thanks for sharing another nutritious recipe
Thank you so much !!
All your bread recipes are really nice. Thanks for sharing old gujju recipes that I miss. 🙂
Thank you so much Neeta!! I am glad you are loving the recipes!! Happy cooking!!