Baigan Bharta / Ringan Nu Bhartu / Audo / Vangi Cha Bharit / Roasted Eggplant Stir Fry is a popular traditional dish in Indian cuisine that has roasted or grilled eggplant as its main ingredient of the dish. The roasted eggplant is minced and is mixed in a stir fry mixture cooked with onions, tomato, ginger garlic paste, spring onion, fresh coriander, fresh garlic , spices and oil. The dish is served with roti, paratha or roti made with sorghum (jowar), finger millet (ragi), pearl millet (bajri), rice flour, or maize (makai) flour.
Traditionally, the eggplant is roasted on open flame. It was known as “chula”. The eggplant roasted on open flame imparts smoky flavor to the dish. You can roast the eggplant on gas top or in an oven.
Baigan Bharta is popular dish in India and different state has its own version and name. It is known as baigan ka bharta in North India, Audo or ringan nu bhartu in Gujarat, vangi cha bharit in Maharashtra, Baigan ka Choka in Bihar. In Bihar the baigan ka choka is served with litti.
I had served the baigan bharta with dhana lahsan jowar rotla (coriander garlic sorghum flatbread), simple moong dal, salad and gur (Jaggery) to make it a complete meal.
Click below for the recipe of rotla:
Friends do try this recipe and please share your feedback with me.
Baigan Bharta / Ringan Nu Bhartu / Audo / Vangi Cha Bharit / Roasted Eggplant Stir Fry
- heavy bottom pan
- oven or gas top
- 4 brinjal washed and pierced with fork
- 2 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spring onion whites, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spring onion green, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 2 tsp red chili powder or more or less as per spice level needed
- 2 tsp coriander cumin seed powder dhania jeera powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup coriander washed and finely chopped
- salt as per taste
- Wash the brinjals and pierce them all over with a fork. Now put them on a baking tray lined with baking paper and put them to roast in a preheated @ 180 C for 30 minutes and then put the setting to grill and grill them for 15 minutes at 200 C.
- OR you can roast the pierced brinjals on the open flame as shown turning in between.
- Remove the roasted brinjal in plate and let it cool.
- Remove the skin.
- Chop the peeled roasted brinjal into small pieces running the knife criss cross on it. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seed and when they crackle add cumin seeds and let they crackle. Add asafoetida. Mix well.
- Add the chopped onions and spring onions white to it. Mix and saute on medium heat.
- Saute till the onions turn translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute on medium heat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Mix well and cook on medium heat till the tomatoes soften.
- After the tomatoes are nicely soften, add spices – turmeric powder, coriander cumin seed powder, red chili powder and sugar.
- Mix well till the spices are nicely mixed and absorbed.
- Add spring onions green (leave some for garnishing). Mix well till spring onions soften.
- Add the chopped roasted eggplant.
- Mix well and add salt as per taste.
- Mix well and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add chopped coriander and mix well.
- The Baigan Bharta / Ringan Nu Bhartu / Audo / Vangi Cha Bharit / Roasted Eggplant Stir Fry is ready to serve.
- Remove in a serving bowl and garnish with coriander and spring onion green and serve hot.
- Serve hot with dhana lahsan jowar rotla (coriander garlic sorghum flat bread), jaggery and simple moong dal for a complete regular meal.
6 thoughts on “Baigan Bharta / Ringan Nu Bhartu / Audo / Vangi Cha Bharit / Roasted Eggplant Stir Fry”
It came out really tasty recipe. Wasnt hassle at all. Liked it. Thank you 🙏
Hiral Sompura Desai
Thank you so much for trying out the recipe. I am glad you liked it and please do try out the other recipes and share your feedback with me. Your feedback is valuable. Happy cooking!!