Healthy Cookies With Leftover Buttercream Icing is an eggless, healthy , delicious and crispy cookies made with left over buttercream left out after icing the cake. Whole wheat flour, rolled oats and nuts make the cookie healthy and tasty.
I had made a lovely cricket theme cake for my son (Aarav’s) 10th birthday. I had made vanilla flavored buttercream icing to decorate the cake. Some buttercream icing was left out. So I refrigerated the icing and after a couple of days used the leftover buttercream icing to make the cookies. The festival of Diwali was nearby and hence I thought of making cookies as a treat. I wanted to make the cookie healthy and hence I had used whole wheat flour and rolled oats to make the cookie. I had added custard powder while making the cookies. Custard powder makes cookies lighter and gives them a crispy texture. Besides the flour I had added healthy nuts and seeds such as almonds, walnuts and pepita. Since it was Diwali I thought of adding cardamom powder (elaichi powder) to give a festive flavor to the cookie.
Sometimes we order cake from the bakery and it has a lot of buttercream icing on it. If the cake is left, and you do not want to eat the buttercream icing, then just scrape the icing and use it to make this healthy cookies.
I had shaped them round by pressing the cookie dough between the palms. However you can roll the dough between the baking sheets or plastic sheets of around 6 mm thickness and then cut with the desired cookie cutter and bake.
The cookie came out well and was loved by my family and friends. You can enjoy them with a cup of hot tea or coffee. I personally like to dip the cookie in the hot masala tea and enjoy every bite of it. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 10-12 days at room temperature or can be packed while travelling.
So friends what are you waiting . Next time if you have any butter cream icing left from the cake do not throw away but use it to make the healthy cookies.
Do make these healthy cookies and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Healthy Cookies With Leftover Buttercream Icing
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- rolling board
- Baking tray
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 4 tbsp custard powder vanilla flavored or use cornflour and then add 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 1.5 cup buttercream icing I have used the vanilla flavored buttercream icing left out after icing the cake.
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnut powdered
- 1/2 cup almond powdered
- 1/4 cup pepita powdered
- 1 tsp cardamom powder optional
- 1 tbsp cold milk or around 2 tbsp. Add gradually to knead into tight dough
- In a mixing bowl take leftover buttercream, powdered almonds, walnuts and pepita.
- Add whole wheat flour, rolled oats and custard powder.
- Mix well and add salt ,baking soda and cardamon powder and mix well. (Since I have made these cookies during Diwali I have added cardamom powder to it. However you can add other flavor of your choice – rose , vanilla, almond essence).
- Now gradually add milk around 1-2 tbsp as needed and knead into a tight dough.
- The dough is ready.
- Now divide the dough into 18 portions. Take each portion in your palm and roll into a smooth ball. Press the ball between your palms. Arrange the flattened ball on the baking tray lined with baking sheet. Similarly make other portions and arrange them on the baking tray keeping 2 cm distance between them
- Put the tray in the prehaeated oven and bake for 12-15 mintes @ 180 C. The cookies are golden and baked. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- Enjoy the healthy cookies with leftover buttercream icing with a cup of hot tea or coffee. It is a delicious afternoon snack too.
- The cookies can be stored at room temperature for 10-12 days and can be carried while travelling. It is a healthy snack to be packed for your kids lunchbox.