Cupcakes are small cakes made to serve a single person. They are baked in muffin tins that are lined with the cupcake liners.
The batter of the cupcakes is same as that of the normal cakes. They bake faster compared to the bigger cakes. As they are small in size, the heat conduction is fast and they cook faster. The main ingredients used for making good and spongy cupcakes are flour, butter, sugar, eggs and leavening agents. They can be made of different flavors and varied ingredients such as fruits, nuts, chocolate chips, rice cereals. Sometimes different types of frostings, cream, peanut butter are inserted with the help of nozzle in the cupcakes while making them.
I have made the eggless strawberry flavored cupcake. They are very moist, soft and spongy. I have used milk and vinegar. Vinegar is acidic and reacts with baking soda. The chemical reaction between vinegar and baking soda produces carbon dioxide which helps the cake to rise. This results in soft and fluffy cakes. The cake remains moist as I have used oil in making them.
I have also made eggless chocolate cupcake with vinegar. I will soon post the recipe.
Eggless Strawberry Cupcake
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup milk powder
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vinegar I have used apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 drops red food colour
- chocochips for garnishing
- In a mixing bowl, take milk. Add vinegar to it . Mix it and keep it aside for five minutes. The milk will curdle as shown.
- In the meantime, sift dry ingredients (all purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cornflour) for three times.
- In the curdled milk mixture, add sugar, milk powder, oil and strawberry jam. Mix them well. Then add 3 -4 drops of red food colour.
- Mix them well.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually .
- Mix them gently. Do not overmix them. Overmixing results in the dense cake.
- Line the cupcake moulds with cupcake liners. Fill the liners with 1 tbsp of batter. Tap them.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 C for 18- 20 minutes or till done.
- Remove and cool them . Put chocochips on them when warm. Ready to serve or pack.