Eggless Wholewheat Pizza Scroll is homemade and baked scroll made using whole wheat flour and all purpose flour in 50:50 ratio. A generous amount of pizza sauce and cheese is spread on the rolled dough and then is rolled into a tight log. The log is cut into small rolls and arranged on a baking tray and baked. It is a healthy after school treat to your little ones! You can also make it for a picnic or potluck or a birthday party! The Pizza Scroll can be packed in the school lunch boxes. The scroll can also be made more nutritious by adding veggies- capsicum, mushroom, onions, corn.
The scrolls can be pulled while eating from the tin. They looks super soft.
With the same dough I have made eggless homemade wholewheat ladi pav (bun) and eggless wholewheat chocolate doughnut. I have shared with you all the recipe for eggless homemade wholewheat ladi pav (bun) and eggless wholewheat chocolate doughnut/donut.
Eggless whole wheat pav (bun), eggless chocolate donuts and eggless pizza scroll made using same dough.
Friends do try this wonderful recipe of making eggless wholewheat pizza scroll and you will make it always at your home. Do share your feedback with me.
Till then khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Eggless Wholewheat Pizza Scroll
- mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- cling wrap or damp kitchen towel
- rolling pin
- rolling board
- baking tin
- 2 cup whole wheat flour you can use 100% wheat flour or add 50:50 %of both wheat flour and all purpose flour). The quantity of water need to be adjusted if using 100 %whole wheat flour.
- 2 cup all purpose flour maida
- 4 tsp instant dry yeast (two sachet of 7 gm)
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- 3/4 cup milk lukewarm
- 4 tbsp olive oil or any flavorless oil or soften butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp milk for brushing scroll
- 1 tsp oil for greasing
- 1 tbsp butter for brushing scroll post baking
- 1 cup pizza sauce I have used my homemade pizza sauce
- 2 cup cheese grated. I have used mixed grated cheese - cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- In a bowl take lukewarm water. (I prefer boiling it at 40 C in the kettle or microwave for 40 sec or just lukewarm to touch if boiling on a stove top). Add sugar and mix well till it dissolves.
- Add the instant dry yeast. Mix well. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast in a warm place. (I have placed the bowl in microwave).
- In a mixing bow add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, milk powder and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Mix well.
- Now make a well in the centre as shown.
- After 10 minutes, the yeast is activated and risen and frothy. (This shows that the yeast is fresh and good for using).
- Now add the activated yeast mixture and mix well with spoon or hands.
- Add lukewarm milk to it and mix well with hands or spoon.
- Now with hands mix everything well. The dough will be too sticky.
- Knead for around 10 minutes with your hands. This process is very important to create the gluten in the dough. (knead the dough in vertical direction with help of your palms and then bring it together and knead again in vertical direction for 10 min. ) The dough will be sticky and after 7-8 minutes will start coming together as shown.
- After 10 minutes, the dough will come together as shown.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and smooth the dough.
- The dough will become smooth and elastic such that when pressed with your fingers, the dough will rise back.
- Now grease a big deep bowl with oil and place the kneaded dough in it. Cover with lid or clingwrap or a damp kitchen towel and keep it for 1 hour in a warm place for 1st proving. ( I have kept in the microwave )
- After 1 hour, the dough will rise and become double in size.
- Punch the bowl with your fist to remove air bubbles as shown.
- Take the dough on your kitchen top or a board and even it in a circle. divide it into equal portions. Make round balls.
- Take one ball and keep it on a baking paper and roll it thin around 30 cm diameter.
- Spread evenly pizza sauce with the help of a spoon. Sprinkle the grated cheese on it evenly.
- Start rolling into a tight roll from one end of the circle as shown.
- The roll should be tight as shown. Gently roll it on baking paper to smooth the edges and it seals properly. (You can also brush the edges of the circle with water so that the roll seals properly).
- With the sharp knife cut the roll into equal portions and put each portion on a greased baking tin. Brush the rolls with milk. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 2nd proving for about 40-45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, the rolls have doubled in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at @200°C or till golden from top.
- Remove from the oven and brush it with butter and let the rolls cool.
- Enjoy the warm eggless wholewheat pizza scroll with a cup of tea /coffee/juice or pack it for your lunch box or pot luck.
- The pizza scroll are so soft and yummy.