Eggless Wholewheat Chocolate Doughnut / Donut are homemade and baked doughnut/donut made using whole wheat flour and all purpose flour in 50:50 ratio. They are baked and then dipped in melted chocolate. You can try other variations of different flavors to glaze the doughnuts. They are a healthy after school treat to your little ones! You can also make them for a picnic or potluck or a birthday party!!
After some time the chocolate will harden. So just before serving microwave doughnut for 5-7 seconds to warm and melt the chocolate. I have used dark chocolate to glaze the doughnut. You can use either milk or white chocolate as per your choice. Also you can top the doughnut with various ingredients such as chocolate shavings, chocolate vermicelli, pipe the melted chocolate, strawberry slices, sliced almonds or any other toppings of your choice.
With the same dough I have made eggless homemade wholewheat ladi pav (bun) and eggless pizza scroll. I have shared with you all the recipe for eggless homemade wholewheat ladi pav (bun) and will share the recipe for eggless pizza scroll soon.
Eggless whole wheat pav (bun), eggless chocolate donuts and eggless pizza scroll made using same dough.
Friends do try this wonderful recipe of making healthy baked eggless wholewheat chocolate doughnut/donut and you will make it always at your home. Do share your feedback with me.
Till then khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Eggless Wholewheat Chocolate Doughnut / Donut
- mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- cling wrap or damp kitchen towel
- rolling pin
- rolling board
- 2 cup whole wheat flour you can use 100% wheat flour or add 50:50 %of both wheat flour and all purpose flour). The quantity of water need to be adjusted if using 100 %whole wheat flour.
- 2 cup all purpose flour maida
- 4 tsp instant dry yeast (two sachet of 7 gm)
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- 3/4 cup milk lukewarm
- 4 tbsp olive oil or any flavorless oil or soften butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp milk for brushing doughnut
- 1 tsp oil for greasing
- 1 tbsp butter for brushing doughnut post baking
- 100 g cooking dark chocolate cut into pieces. (You can also use milk chocolate or white chocolate as per your choice)
- 1/2 cup colourful 1000 sprinkles
- In a bowl take lukewarm water. (I prefer boiling it at 40 C in the kettle or microwave for 40 sec or just lukewarm to touch if boiling on a stove top). Add sugar and mix well till it dissolves.
- Add the instant dry yeast. Mix well. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast in a warm place. (I have placed the bowl in microwave).
- In a mixing bow add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, milk powder and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Mix well.
- Now make a well in the centre as shown.
- After 10 minutes, the yeast is activated and risen and frothy. (This shows that the yeast is fresh and good for using).
- Now add the activated yeast mixture and mix well with spoon or hands.
- Add lukewarm milk to it and mix well with hands or spoon.
- Now with hands mix everything well. The dough will be too sticky.
- Knead for around 10 minutes with your hands. This process is very important to create the gluten in the dough. (knead the dough in vertical direction with help of your palms and then bring it together and knead again in vertical direction for 10 min. ) The dough will be sticky and after 7-8 minutes will start coming together as shown.
- After 10 minutes, the dough will come together as shown.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and smooth the dough.
- The dough will become smooth and elastic such that when pressed with your fingers, the dough will rise back.
- Now grease a big deep bowl with oil and place the kneaded dough in it. Cover with lid or clingwrap or a damp kitchen towel and keep it for 1 hour in a warm place for 1st proving. ( I have kept in the microwave )
- After 1 hour, the dough will rise and become double in size.
- Punch the bowl with your fist to remove air bubbles as shown.
- Take the dough on your kitchen top or a board and even it in a circle. divide it into equal portions.
- Take one portion and roll out into a thick approx 1 cm thick circle. Cut the circle in doughnut shape with the help of doughnut cutter. (Or use a big round cutter and then cut the centre with the help of a small round cutter or small bottle lid as shown).
- Place the cut doughnut into a baking tray lined with baking paper leaving some space in between as shown. Cover them with a damp cloth and place in a warm place for 2nd proving or rise for about 40- 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, the doughnut are doubled in size. Brush the doughnut with milk to avoid from drying.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at @200°C or till golden from top.
- Remove from the oven. Brush the doughnut with butter.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or double boiler.
- Take one doughnut and dip it the topside in the melted chocolate and coat it well.
- Take 1000 sprinkles in a plate and dip the doughnut coated with chocolate in it. The sprinkles will stick to the doughnut.
- Place the doughnut on the butter paper or plate and let it cool.
- The baked eggless whole wheat chocolate doughnut are ready to serve. Serve them warm or cold and enjoy!!