Paneer Tikka is the most popular vegetarian starter in restaurants serving North Indian cuisine.
The preparation consists of three steps:
- Cutting of vegetables and paneer. They should be cut in the same size and shape.
2. Making the marinade and coating the vegetables and paneer with it.
3. Assembling the marinated vegetables and paneer on skewers and grilling them.
There are different variations of making the marinade.
Spicy red marinade – Made with thick yoghurt combined with all the dry spices, ginger garlic paste, oil and lemon.
Achari paneer tikka- Here the pickle masala is used while making the marinade.
Lehsuni paneer tikka- The marinade uses a generous amount of garlic.
Hariyali paneer tikka- The marinade is prepared using fresh herbs such as coriander, mint, ginger, garlic, green chilli, yoghurt, lemon juice and oil.
This way different combinations of the ingredients are used while making different variations of the tikkas.
I made hariyali paneer tikka and am sharing the process with you.
The aroma of the fresh herbs makes it yummy. It is enjoyed by all my family members. I often make this dish for parties at home or on special occasions.
If you want to do a BBQ in your back yard or at a picnic joint, this is the best dish to carry with you.
You can also involve your guests while grilling the tikkas on the BBQ and thus you can cook, eat and chat together.
The dish can be made in the oven, over the flame of the gas cooktop and on the BBQ machine outside.
Hariyali Paneer Tikka (Grilled Cottage Cheese )
- 1 onion cut in cube
- 1 tomato deseeded and cut in cube
- 1/4 green capsicum deseeded and cut in cube
- 1/4 red capsicum deseeded and cut in cube
- 500 g cottage cheese paneer cut in one inch square with 5-6 mm thickness
- 1/4 cup gram flour roasted
- 1/4` cup curd
- 1 tsp rock salt sanchal
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp dry mint powder (optional) it enhances the flavor of the dish.
- 1/2 cup mint coriander paste I have coarsely ground 1 cup washed and chopped coriander leaves and 1/2 cup washed and chopped mint leaves together without adding water to it.
- 2 tsp chat masala
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp green chili paste
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- 1 onion cut in rings and sprinkled with red chili powder, salt and lemon juice
- lemon slices for serving
- mint sprig for serving
- chat masala to sprinkle on top
- tandoori masala to sprinkle on top
- Cut tomato, onion, red capsicum, green capsicum into one-inch squares.
- Cut the paneer into a one-inch square. It should be around 5-6 mm thick.
- In a mixing bowl add roasted gram flour, mint coriander paste, ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste, curd, oil, lemon juice, rock salt, chat masala, garam masala, dry mint powder, and salt. Mix it. The marinade is ready.
- Add the paneer cubes to the marinade and toss them till well coated.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables to the marinade and toss them till well coated.
- Refrigerate the marinated vegetables and paneer for 30 minutes.
- Take wooden skewers (place them in cold water for 20 minutes before using for oven) and arrange the marinated vegetables and paneer in sequence as per your choice as shown.(i have placed green capsicum, paneer, onion, tomato, paneer) Preheat the oven to 200 C. Place the skewers on the baking dish lined with baking paper. Brush it with oil. Cook them for 15 minutes or till brown from the edges. Turn them once after 7 minutes.
- In the meanwhile decorate the serving platter with chopped onion slices with oil and red chili powder, lemon and mint. Sprinkle some chat masala and tandoori masala over it.
- After 15 minutes the hariyali paneer tikka is ready to serve. Serve it on the platter plate. Sprinkle chat masala over it. Serve it with the mint coriander marinade or chutney.
1 thought on “Hariyali Paneer Tikka (Grilled Cottage Cheese )”
Beautiful presentation and mouthwatering.