Kantola Nu Shaak is a stir fry dish made with Kantola (Teasel gourd or spiny gourd) along with onions, and spices. It is dry veg dish and goes well with Dal, Rice, Roti. It also goes well with thepla, bhakri or rotla. It is vegan. Skip adding asafoetida to make it gluten free.
Kantola also known as teasel gourd or spiny gourd is a seasonal vegetable and is available during monsoon in India. In Sydney, I have used the frozen packet which we get in Indian store. It has small spines all over its body and hence is known as spiny gourd. It looks similar to bitter melon but is short in length.
Kantola are full of dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins and anti oxidants. They have health benefits similar to bitter melon. They help in lowering blood sugar, aids digestion and have anti ageing property.
Mithil (my husband) and I both love kantola and bitter melon and so I try to make them frequently.
You can skip adding onion to the dish. I like the taste on onion. As Kantola is towards bitter taste and onion has sweet taste. So the combination balances the taste of the dish.
So friends do make this recipe and share your reviews with me.
Kantola Nu Shaak
- 300 g kantola Teasel gourd or spiny gourd, washed and chopped lengthwise
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 2 tsp pickle masala athana no sambhar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder or as per taste
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
- Wash and chop the kantola lengthwishe as shown. (Remove big seeds if any). Drain the washed and chopped kantola in a strainer. Keep it aside for 20-30 minutes so that all the excess water is drained out.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat. Add mustard seed and let it crackle. Reduce heat and add asafoetida, turmeric powder and 1 tsp pickle masala (athana no sambhar). (If you do not have pickle masala you can add crushed methi seeds)
- Add chopped onions and mix well.
- Saute till onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the drained kantola. Add salt. (be careful as pickle masala also contains salt)..
- Mix well. Cover and cook kantola on medium heat stirring every four to five minutes in between. Cook till kantola are soften and cooked.
- Now add remaning spices - red chili powder, coriander cumin powder and pickle masala. Mix well and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander and mix well. The kantola nu shaak is ready.
- Remove it in a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve it with roti, dal and rice. It can also be served with thepla, dhebra, bhakri or rotla.