Malai Paneer Tikka / Grilled Cottage Cheese With Cream is a appetizer made by marinating paneer/cottage cheese and vegetables with a mild marinade that is made with cream, hung curd, cashew nut powder and flavored with kasurimethi, fennel seeds and cardamom powder. This marinated paneer and vegetables are than grilled either in a griller, oven or open barbeque or gas flame. The outcome is soft, melt in mouth, succulent and juicy paneer tikka. Serve it hot with green chutney and sliced onions.
This paneer dish is very mild in taste and yet is very creamy and melt in mouth texture. The taste from cream, cashew nut, kasuri methi, fennel seeds and cardamom powder elates the taste of your taste buds. It is very quick to make and needs very less ingredients. The marinade for the dish is ready very quickly.
Always use full fat cream for best result. You can also use the homemade malai (Malai is a top layer formed on the milk after it is boiled and cooled). I have used homemade curd to make hung curd. Take curd and put it in a muslin cloth or soft cotton cloth. Put the cloth and curd in the strainer in a bowl. The water from the curd will drain from the cloth. Keep it around 1 hour in the refrigerator to avoid getting sour. You can also use plain greek yogurt or cream cheese instead.
If you want to do a BBQ in your back yard or at a picnic joint, this is the best dish to carry with you.
You can also involve your guests while grilling the tikkas on the BBQ and thus you can cook, eat and chat together.
The dish can be made in the oven, over the flame of the gas cooktop and on the BBQ machine outside. I have cooked them in my kitchen oven.
See how beautifully it is cooked. After the tikkas were half cooked I have changed the setting of the oven with top grilled to give the burnt effect on the paneer and veggies.
I have made this dish when one of my lovely friend Mithan came for dinner along with her husband Manoj (Maddy) and her sons Ronik and Laksh. She is also an amazing cook. She cooks amazing non veg and traditional dishes from Coorg. She has got a magic in her hands. My son enjoys dishes made by her.
It was a very wonderful atmosphere that day. A chilly cold evening in the summer. And the malai paneer tikka was a perfect appetizer to welcome Mithan and her family. The marination was perfect in taste and paneer was very juicy and succulent after grilling. We all enjoyed the dish and amazing time together with chit chat on different topics.
So friends do make this recipe and it will be a total crowd pleaser for your next get together.
Malai Paneer Tikka / Grilled Cottage Cheese With Cream
- 1/2 cup cream malai
- 1/2 cup hung curd
- 2 tbsp cashew nut powder
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves washed and finely chopped
- 2 tsp green chili washed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp kasuri methi dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour besan, roasted
- 1 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder elaichi powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 onion cut into 4 quarters and then each leaf of onion seperated
- 1/2 green capsicum cut into inch cube
- 1/2 red capsicum cut into inch cube
- 1/2 yellow capsicum cut into inch cube
- 1 tomato deseeded and cut into cube
- 500 g paneer cut into 1"x1"
- salt as per taste
- oil for roasting
- In a mixing bowl, add cream, hung curd, ginger paste, garlic paste, fennel seeds, kasuri methi, cardamom powder, black pepper powder.
- Add cashew nut powder and roasted chickpea flour (besan).
- Mix them together and add salt and sugar.
- Mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Add the cut paneer cubes. Mix them well gently.
- Add the chopped onions, capsicum and tomatoes.
- Mix them gently. Cover and keep aside for an hour.
- Take wooden skewers (place them in cold water for 20 minutes before using for oven) and arrange the marinated vegetables and paneer in sequence as per your choice as shown.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Place the skewers on the baking dish lined with baking paper. Brush it with oil. Cook them for 15 minutes or till brown from the edges. Turn them once after 7 minutes.
- The malai paneer tikka are ready to serve. Serve them with onion slices and green chutney.
- Enjoy the malai paneer tikka.