I had made fresh sandwiches the other day for our picnic. I removed the border of the bread but did not waste them since they can be used as breadcrumbs for making tikkis, pattice, puddings, chocolate balls.
This time I thought of using it to make some kind of tikkis. I wanted to make something for the starter. My in-laws are at my place. They try and enjoy different types of dishes I prepare, so thought of making a tikki but without using potato in it. I had paneer, bread crumbs, mint and coriander with me. I thought of using them with masoor dal. You can read the benefits of masoor dal in my recipe whole masoor dal.
Many people do not like eating the masoor dal in curry form. They can now enjoy this masoor dal tikkis.
This tikki is very healthy. It does not have potato. It has paneer and hence has goodness of calcium. Masoor is good in proteins, hence it is diabetic friendly, good for growing kids and a good source of calcium and proteins for pregnant ladies.
You can deep fry the tikkis. I have shallow fried them. They were crisp outside and soft and smooth inside.
Do try them and serve your guests – And then ask them to guess the ingredients!!
Masoor Dal Tikki With Mint And Coriander
- 1 cup masoor dal red lentil soaked
- 1/4 cup chana dal bengal gram soaked
- 2 cup breadcrumb
- 250 g paneer grated
- 1/2 cup mint leaves cleaned, washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves cleaned, washed and finely chopped
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 tbsp ginger pasted
- 1/2 tbsp chilli paste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder adjust as per the spice level required
- 1 tsp chat masala powder
- 2 tsp amchur powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 small lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- oil for roasting
- coriander garlic chutney for serving
- onion chopped for serving
- sev for serving
- Clean, wash and soak both the dals in water for 4-5 hours.
- Pressure cook the dal with very little water. let it cool. Gather all the required ingredients - grated paneer, grated carrot, bread crumbs, chopped coriander, chopped mint.
- Mash the dal with potato masher or grind it without water in a grinder. Take all the ingredients in a big mixing bowl. (ground dal, bread crumbs, grated paneer, grated carrot, chopped mint and coriander)
- Add all the dry spices ( red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin powder, chat masala, amchur powder, salt), ginger paste, green chili paste and lemon juice.
- Mix them well and adjust salt and seasoning.
- Now apply oil in the palms and shape the mixture in small tikkis as shown. (or give them shape of your choice).
- Heat a non stick pan. Apply oil on it and roast the tikkis.
- Flip on the other side. Drizzle some oil and cook them till golden brown on both sides on medium heat.
- Serve them hot with coriander garlic chutney, chopped onions and sev. You can sprinkle chat masala over tilkki if you want.
- For kids, make smiley shape out of the tikkis and they will enjoy.
- Put green chutney , sweet date chutney over tikki and garnish it with chopped onions and sev and your masoor dal tikki chat is ready.