Milk Peda / Doodh Peda is a very easy traditional Indian dessert made by evaporating full cream milk till all the water from milk is evaporated and only the solid cream like mixture (khoya) is left. Sugar and flavors are added to the mixture and cooked further till all the moisture is evaporated. It is then shaped into smooth ball, flattened and garnished with pistachio and served. The peda can be flavored with saffron, dry nuts, chocolate, coconut or vanilla as per your choice. It is a gluten free dessert and can be consumed during upwaas/fasting/vraat.
Peda is a popular Indian sweet made from mawa or khoya and sugar. It is semi soft, like fudge. It is made in many festivals and offered as “prasadam”. Peda is a part of any celebration like people will disttibute peda if they buy a new vehicle, if a son/daughter is born in the family, if a person passes out the top exams, if a person gets a good job, etc. There are many variations of peda such as elaichi peda, kesar peda, chocolate peda. Peda are popular as per the region they are made in, such as, Dharwad peda from Karnataka, Mathura peda from Mathura, Rajkoti peda.
The base of many Indian sweets is Khoya. Khoya is a mixture formed after evaporating the milk. To make peda, sugar and flavors (cardamom/ saffron/ rosewater) is added to the khoya and it is kneaded well. The more you knead, the softer are the peda made.
I am sharing with you the recipe of making peda by evaporating the milk at home. It needs no prior preparation and uses minimum ingredients. The evaporating of milk needs patience and is time consuming. But the outcome is soft, and smooth peda.
Few points to make good peda:
- Always use a thick heavy bottom pan vessel or a nonstick pan.
- Use full fat milk only. Boil the milk on low heat first and once it starts boiling put the heat to medium and keep on boiling and reducing the milk.
- Always stir the milk to avoid sticking at the bottom of the pan. Also the layer of cream will be formed so scrap it from the edges and mix it with the boiling milk.
- Once the water from the milk is evaporated and khoya is made, knead the khoya well to make soft peda.
Friends this is very easy recipe. Start by making in small batches. Though time consuming but is very delicious.
Milk Peda / Doodh Peda
- 1 l full fat milk
- 1 tbsp sugar or more for more sweetness. (I have used raw sugar)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp ghee for greasing palm
- 3 pistachio blanched, skin peeled and thinly sliced
- Put full fat milk in a heavy bottom pan or a non stick pan to heat on low heat stirring in between.
- Once the milk starts to boil, put the heat to medium and boil the milk. Keep on stirring continuously to prevent it from sticking at the bottom of the pan. It will take around 7-8 minutes.
- The layer of cream will form on the top of the milk. Stir it and also scrap the sides of the vessel to remove the cream and mix it with boiling milk.
- Further after 10-12 minutes, the milk will be reduced to half.
- Keep on cooking further on medium heat and stirring continuously till maximum water from milk is evaporated and it forms like a paste.
- Now the thickened creamy paste is formed.
- Add sugar to the mixture. Mix well . The sugar will dissolve and make the mixture runny. Cook further till all the moisture is evaporated.
- The moisture is evaporated and creamy grainy texture of the milk is left. This is known as khoya. Switch off the heat. (You can remove this khoya, cool it and it can be used to make different variation of sweets and savory dishes.) Add cardamom powder or any other flavors such as saffron, vanilla, rosewater.
- Let the mixture cool. Knead the mixture with your hands to smoothen it. Grease the palms of your hands and take small portion of the mixture and roll it into a smooth ball. Gently flatten the ball by pressing between the palms. ( you can shape the peda with and design them by pressing the peda mould, or fork or toothpick). Garnish the peda with blanced pistachio slices.
- Serve the milk peda. The milk peda can be refrigerated for a week in an airtight container and can be enjoyed.